XLVII. Champagne - A toast to three psychopaths

❧

I knew that it had been wrong to not immediately address the situation but dad needed me, the way he s̶p̶e̶a̶k̶s̶ spoke of Uncle Fester was like they were brothers. Ending things on a bad note and trying to reconnect years later, only to find out that the person is no more must be devastating.

I was in the middle of the path to Nevermore, when I was grabbed harshly. An arm around my waist pushed me back, while another, holding a handkerchief, came up to my nose. I remember struggling against it, trying to fight it, but the person holding me captive proved to be too strong and I lost consciousness.

"It's time, it's finally happening."

In the chaos of manic glee, three people rejoiced.

I came around gradually, desperately trying to hurry up my senses to make sense of where the heck I was. I could spot a blurred version of a crypt and two, no three people maybe.

"Rose", I heard a female voice say. I forced my eyes open to see a figure crouching in front of me, examining me.

"She will do just fine."

The most unlikely trio stood in front of me - Wednesday Addams, Tyler Galpin and Thornhill, the teacher in charge of Ophelia Hall at Nevermore Academy.

While they stood together, they had the most varying emotional expressions on the human spectrum. Wednesday, betraying a sense of passiveness, looked smug; Tyler looked like he was enjoying himself and Thornhill just looked satisfied.

What was even more bizarre was the way the crypt looked - like it had been prepared for some sort of ritual. I was quickly losing all assurance and starting to panic.

"She's starting to lose it - can we just get on with it? The more she resists, the more we delay it."

"Delay what?", I might have screamed and brought their attention towards me, in a more direct and situation - I - wanted - to - avoid manner.

"It's alright, you have done nothing wrong, it's the outcasts who are the scourge of this town. Just a little bit of your blood and if you behave nicely enough throughout, we might even let you go."

"Yes, Laurel, we have all heard your anti - outcasts tirade."

I am pretty sure that I already looked like someone who had already lost a ton of their blood, as I was getting pale. Okay - Thornhill was Laurel. Okay, cool, cool, cool, cool. And was she going to sacrifice me in this ritual? The Hyde had killed multiple people and looked like she was out for the blood of outcasts owing to the Gates' family history - her father being the biggest hater, only next to Joseph Crackstone maybe.