XII. Date prep

❧

"Fuckety fuck,

This just got worse."

This was the only thing I could yell out as I traded my sneakers for heels. Owing to a very recent boy situation, I had decided to try for once, the fashion over comfort mantra.

Which by default led me to lead out a litany of beautiful curses to match my quickly souring mood.

However, my choicest vocabulary was reserved for conversations in my mind and with friends since I couldn't have my younger siblings learning bad stuff from me.

But of course, the little monsters had come into my room uninvited when they heard me shout, settling themselves cozily on my bed and started giving unsolicited advice.

Luke had to be a cutie as he just excitedly yelled Rosie's going on a date which prompted theatrics from Emma. They had overheard a conversation I was not careful enough to have in the confines of my room and knew the details of my date.

"Our little girl's all grown up", Emma said, wiping away a fake tear.

"Get out of my room right now or no Paul's ice cream this weekend."

Those poor kids looked like someone canceled Christmas and went out.

It's not a date, I am just meeting Tyler, a guy I like. My pathetic attempt to rationalize only made me spiral more.

Even though dad and I had installed a no shop talk policy at the Weathervane, owing to what had happened recently, I couldn't help grabbing dad's journal.

 I thought of going through a few pages while at the café.

Dad's journal was honestly a treasure trove which started as an activity between the two of us to keep a record of all the creatures we had come across. His students presented intriguing abilities and he, taking a genuine interest in them, thought to keep entries. He showed me this journal when I was 14 and honestly, it was the best thing ever. Quite a lot of bedtime stories were replaced by accounts of my dad encountering an interesting werewolf, vampire or the many creatures which resided in Jericho. I had listened with rapt attention and internalized these stories which made me more accepting of the differences between my siblings and me.

I made my way to the café, my mind alternating between thoughts of the hazel - eyed boy and the mystery of the nameless monster.