VII. Black's not your color

❧

Wednesday Addams

I was elated at the opportunity to interact with a Nevermore student. As much as I tried to convince myself that I was better off being a normie, I secretly craved the dangers and thrill of the world of outcasts.

So here I stood, at Weathervane, enjoying my caramel macchiato when I noticed a commotion at the front.

Tyler was struggling with the coffee machine and it was quite a sight. His eyes had scrunched up in confusion and he looked at the machine like it was a beast. He was looking quite cute, trying to figure out the workings of the formidable machine.

Ever since I came to drop off the cupcakes, Tyler and I had striked a friendship

Ever since I came to drop off the cupcakes, Tyler and I had striked a friendship. It had happened as I had interrupted a video call with his dad while I had come to the café to get a coffee to go since I had to pick up Emma. I had noticed a dog  sleeping peacefully in the background on the video call. Tyler and his dad shared a look of incredulity at a random person interrupting their video call just to get a better glimpse of their dog. After a very awkward conversation which had me apologizing to the sheriff, Tyler had come over to me with my order.

"Do you make it a habit of sneaking up on people and eavesdropping on their conversations?"

"Its hard to resist when there's a cute dog involved"

"And here I thought you were just trying to get my attention", Tyler said playfully.

I knew he was just kidding but two could play the game.

This was my new mantra in life - Don't get mad, get even.

I leaned it and whispered "Do you want me to grab your attention Tyler?"

His cheeks had colored a light coral and he had hurried to get back to the coffee machine. Since then, whenever I went to get my order, we had engaged in playful banter.

I was about to get up and offer the poor guy some help, but noticed that he was occupied by a certain walking monochromatic female in the otherwise animated world.

She was offering Tyler a twenty dollar bill for something and I walked ahead to say goodbye to Tyler when she glared at me.

The only conversation that happened immediately was her saying to me "Black's not your color" as she scanned me up and down. I was tempted to ask her who hurt you but held my tongue since I was there to talk to just Tyler.

"Wednesday!" I heard her say to Tyler.

Wednesday Addams, I whispered the name that I had committed to memory.

She turned to face me hastily.

"Did my mother send you?"

"What!" The conversation was getting weird and I had to redirect it to normalcy to preserve my sanity.

"Nope, I need to talk to you about something. It's regarding Nevermore."

"I have no connection to that dreaded place", saying that, she walked out. I was about to follow her when Tyler caught my attention.

"Hey, I have been meaning to talk to you."

I felt my heartbeat quickening, hoping that he would ask me out.

But no, things had to go horrifically wrong that day. Wednesday, Wednesday freaking Addams ended up fighting three boys. Color me impressed. Sheriff Galpin walked in on the scene of three boys writhing in pain on the floor as Tyler dodged questions on her behalf.

As if the day wasn't weird enough, Sheriff Galpin muttered a very ominous "guessing the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" after straight up accusing Wednesday's father of murder.

I believed that something was up and my dad had motives for me specifically interacting with this girl who thought black was solely her prerogative.

❧