XXXVI. The mystery of LG

❧

Joseph Crackstone was like that one blot in an otherwise politically correct town. A puritan, he led a fanatical movement against outcasts and nearly succeeded in ending them all. While Jericho can boast of a relatively peaceful co - existence of outcasts and normies, his prejudice continues to live on in some people.  

I was idly toying with the pendant, desperate to find out more. 

I wanted to go to Wednesday with this discovery, who, despite her lack of expressions, would have been a more willing participant to my theories. But since she had a very on and off approach to my ideas, I wasn't feeling particularly inclined to share this with her. 

The more I thought about the entire thing, the more antagonized I became. It felt like I was just collecting random pieces, distantly connected with each other and establishing a link between them was impossible. The more I knew, the more confused I became. 

In my frustration, I hurled the pendant at my dresser and my lip gloss became an unsuspecting victim as a result. I sent a quick prayer for the lip gloss lost since there had been no intent to murder. Sweeping aside the pieces of the broken bottle, I picked up the pendant, noticing something I hadn't before.  It was engraved with an LG. 

When Enid said that it could have just been someone sneaking in for a bit of fun, I wasn't fully convinced. The normies weren't ones to wander in those parts. I noticed the irony while making this observation. Even the ones who were rebelling only went as far as the graveyard. They treated Nevermore like a myth and didn't cross that boundary. 

A student from Nevermore going there was a more likely possibility and something that would be easier to confirm. 

I figured I could try to get access to the students' database  through my dad's computer. I jumped in glee as I realized my good luck. He had just finished evaluating midterms and hadn't yet uploaded the grades. It was an entire biannual ritual - Em, Luke and I observing him grading the papers, he often talked to himself while doing it. 

Seriously Matthews, you will give a potion made with water hemlock to a wolf ? Who hurt you kid?

Dad looked embarrassed at having been caught that one time.

I always made him a hot chocolate, we settled cozily in the living room, this time only Luke in the living room doing his homework and dad's laptop open as he sat down to enter the grades. 

I somehow had to find a way to keep him engaged, so with the help of Luke, I devised a little scheme.

I sent Tyler a text - Hey, we haven't talked since that night at the crypt. Why don't you come over to my place? 

He replied about two minutes later - Sure, I will be over in 20. 

I had asked Luke to take Tyler and Dad out in the backyard to apparently show them a vision trick he had perfected. This would buy me around 5-7 minutes. If I timed everything perfectly, Dad would go and open the door for Tyler and in the meanwhile, I would search the database. 

The bell rang while I was in the kitchen. "Dad, could you get that?"

"Sure"

I heard Luke run behind him. He opened the door to see Tyler standing there, looking a bit confused. I could hear them talking. 

"Hi, Mr. Hill, I am here to talk to Rose."

Before Dad could even get a word out of his mouth, Luke had started screaming "Come on, both of you, I have to show you something really awesome." 

I fully trusted Luke to get them to follow through; he could be super persuasive and who could even deny that cutie.

Hearing the door close, I ran towards the living room, Dad's computer and papers kept side by side. Working as quickly as I could, I came across three LG's in the entire school : Laurent Grave, Lily Green and Lauren Golden. I had been very lucky that it was a small school. 

Let's uncover your identity - LG.