XXIII. Caught

❧

Xavier very potentially could be the monster.

It's fun having a creature in Nevermore about which so little is known.

I decided to get a clearer idea before I could go out there making accusations or taking any action. 

It was a beautiful Saturday with the sun shining bright, like things couldn't go wrong.

It wasn't until Wednesday told me about a much more grotesque fact that I realized the desperation to confirm the true identity of the monster.

Wednesday had managed to sneak into the County coroner's office with the help of Thing. The killer was apparently keeping trophies in the form of organs from his victims. She had also overheard the sheriff asking the coroner to keep this a secret.

Wednesday and I made our way to Xavier's art shed in order to do a little more sleuthing.

I took out a bobby pin from my bag in an attempt to break the flimsy lock and we were in.

"So you can be of some use."

Wednesday and I had developed a sort of dynamic where she passed comments and I ignored them. I asked her questions and was rewarded with her silence. All in all, even with this flawless communication system, we had still managed to get closer to the truth.

We were rooted in our spots at the sight of paintings in his shed. The shed was filled with multiple canvasses which had drawings of the monster.

Wednesday stuffed a painting in her bag just as I gave her a look of what the hell are you thinking.

We made our way out and just as we thought all had gone well, I heard Xavier calling out our name.

We both turned around looking like a couple of people who had been caught at a very unfortunate time.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Even before I could pause and think things through, I found myself saying, "Wednesday wanted to ask you something about the Raven dance and I am here for moral support."

I figured she wouldn't enjoy such an event and it would be a good payback for all the times she refused to help.

Giving them both a radiant smile, I walked away before Wednesday could come murder me.