XIV. Woe Cup

❧

I reached the academy with my dad at 8:30 on the dot. The mood was festive, with people in anticipation of the grand annual event.

My dad had explained the happenings of the event on the way to the academy. Luke had been ecstatic, explaining that he had been given a very important task during the cup. Dad and I had our reservations about Luke being a part of a contest which practically had no rules at all.

I had called Xavier up to clarify certain things which had led to a very amusing discussion.

"He's a good kid and was after me to be included in the The Amontillado team so I told him that he could wait for me by the finish line and I would hand him the flag. I figured I would give him a chance to be part of the excitement without putting him in any real danger."

I had to give it to Xavier for being such a considerate person.

I went around and ran into Xavier who was dressed as a joker and boy, did he pull off that look. "Interesting choice! Is that what they are wearing at the Paris fashion week?"

"Haha, don't you have something better to do than joke about my devastatingly good looks?"

"Yeah right, good luck Xavier!"

"Thanks Rose!"

The contestants and the rest of the students had gathered at the Jericho river jetty. There were 4 teams - Black Cats, Gold Bugs, The Pit and the Pendulum and Amontillado. I spotted Wednesday in the Black Cats team and waved to her. All I got as a response to my greeting was a nod of the head.

The race started with great fervor and the Gold Bugs had taken the lead. It was the team of the sirens. One team, the one without Wednesday and Xavier, was taken out by them as their boat sunk down.

It was now down to three teams and the Gold Bugs were the ones everyone was saying would win. "Bianca wins by hook or crook every year. I am telling you, it doesn't matter who the other teams are, they are going down", I overheard someone say this. Wow, whoever this Bianca is, Xavier better watch out. Him being my only friend here, I was rooting for his team to win.

"The Gold Bugs are in the lead with the Black Cats following closely behind. The team Amontillado is nowhere to be seen. Oh, and we see, in a quick turn of events, the Gold Bugs being left behind."

Wednesday's team was quickly approaching the jetty and she had a black flag in her hand.

Wednesday was soon approaching the finish line with the flag and I saw Luke looking crestfallen. The little kid didn't look excited anymore. However, I got a scare when I squinted my eyes to notice that he looked like he was having seizures.

I sprinted towards him and dad carried him to the infirmary.

"It's coming!" was the last thing he whispered before he went completely unconscious.

❧