XXII. What happens in Crackstone Crypt, doesn't stay in Crackstone Crypt

❧

Wednesday was writhing in pain on the ground in the same state I had often found my brother in when he was having a vision.

Her face was covered with sweat, she was trying to escape the vision and felt trapped.

I ran to her, in an attempt to help her. As soon as I placed my hand on her shoulder, she opened her eyes.

"Wednesday, hey, are you okay?"

"I- Uh, yes."

"What happened? What did you just see?"

"You are not going to leave it, are you?"

I just smiled in response.

Wednesday, in a motion that was probably the strangest thing to happen in the billion years of the universe's existence, grasped my chin gently, running her thumb over it, dangerously close to my lower lip.

"Rose, Rose, Rose, learning to let go is a skill that you severely lack."

I was too shocked with what happened to pay any attention to what she just said.

As much as I knew Wednesday, she liked to live as if Covid had always plagued the Earth I.e. socially, emotionally, physically distance from every living being.

"I saw Goody, an ancestor of mine, a very powerful witch. Apparently, the founding father of this town, Joseph Crackstone declared her to be Satan's mistress and proceeded to burn her along with the other outcasts. I saw Goody being chased and that's when I felt a hand on my shoulder and the vision ended."

I was still in a daze so I just muttered a small uh huh.

It was at that moment that we saw it again.

Those eyes.

The thirst for blood and screams of tortured souls in them.

That unruly mop of hair.

Both of us stood rooted at our positions, too scared to make a sound or move.

It was a day for strange happenings, as the monster went away after sending us a warning.

Both of us were petrified and got startled when there was a movement in the back.

I turned around to see Xavier.

"Xavier, what are you doing here?"

"I was worried about you both. It had been a long time since you went and when I went to Pilgrim World and Uriah's heap to check, neither of you were there. I remember something being said about Joseph Crackstone, so I thought to come here. Are you both okay?"

It's suspicious how he arrived here just as the monster disappeared - Wednesday muttered under her breath but I caught what she said.

It was strange and suspicious.