XVII. The night of carnage

❧

"I had somehow convinced them to go out in the forest that night, eager for a sighting of the new creature, discovering what all it could do. Rose, you must know, I will give up my life right now only to take back that fateful night", his eyes were full of regret as he looked at me.

I was filled with a feeling of dread and couldn't shake it off. However, I knew that this was important and gave dad an understanding nod for him to continue.

"Fester thought that I had been getting too reckless, like a mad scientist on a mission. I had told him that I could very well do without his help. I didn't mean that of course. Fester said that he had me and Olivia go along with him on all these adventures only because I needed protection. Just imagine, all my efforts dismissed. This had led to a major argument. I didn't tell your mom about it."

I couldn't help agreeing with Uncle Fester a little. I realized the disadvantages dad had, putting himself in a situation like this and how perilous it could be for everyone. I wasn't sure if it would have been wise to say it out loud. 

"The three of us set out that night. Me, with my usual gusto; Fester, with great reluctance with your mom in tow. It was gruesome. The monster had killed an entire group of campers and the carnage didn't satiate it's thirst for blood."

Dad took a deep breath as if trying to reign in his emotions. 

"It had smelled us. I wanted to move but was frozen to the spot. Your mom sacrificed herself to save me. A frantic Fester grabbed me and we ran for our life. He made sure that your mom's sacrifice didn't go in vain. It should have been me who died that night Rose."

Dad had started crying by now and all of it had become too much for me. I knew if I stayed there I would have said some things and that would only cause us more hurt. 

I took my car and decided to drive back home. 

I could see why Uncle Fester saw my dad the way he did after I heard everything. 

All rationality flew out of my mind as I came to the conclusion that my dad was single handedly responsible for mom's death.

My dad killed my mom.