XV. As thick as thieves

❧

"Dad, we need to talk."

"Hey Vicky!" He looked tired. Worry lines clouded his face as he sat on the chair in the infirmary beside Luke. The school nurse forbade us from asking any questions when Luke regained consciousness and gave him a pill to calm him down and help him sleep. I had dropped Emma off at Sophie's place and came back so that dad could get a break.

"Dad, you said that they would be better off here. Then, Luke's visions... and I don't understand, out of all the people that we could ask for help, you send me to Wednesday Addams."

"Sit down Rose. I have got some explaining to do. Wednesday has an uncle-

"Uncle Fester?", I saw dad looking bewildered and decided to give him some context. "I came across a picture of the thing that possibly attacked us that day in the forest in your journal. But there was only a drawing. No date, no details, nothing, nada. I was discussing this with Wednesday and she said she could ask this uncle Fester of hers."

"Well, Fester and I go way back. In fact, we used to be as thick as thieves. We grew up together. Fester was the nicest and weirdest guy I have ever known." He let out a deep breath.

"What happened dad?"

"The creature you are looking for is a Hyde. The most vicious creature out there. It feeds over the fear of its victims, almost as if deriving sadistic pleasure in seeing them tremble before it. It likes to prolong it's kill if it can, slashing, ripping, ravaging. You think you might have a chance of getting out alive, it likes to give you that delusion and just when you think that, it goes for the kill."

I digested this information. We were lucky we were there in a group in the forest.

"There is nothing on that page apart from the drawing because that was all we got - a look at it as it killed your mom. "