XXXIX. Ghost hunting

❧

I stood before the giant unkempt mansion gates, clutching the drawing in my hand

I stood before the giant unkempt mansion gates, clutching the drawing in my hand. I didn't trust the town nowadays to come alone at night, so here I was, skipping my last class, trying to make sense of why Luke would draw the gates of this particular place.

I took out of my diary, scribbling Gates mansion with the other information. Gomez Addams getting arrested and released for the murder of Garrett Gates had just been the tip of the iceberg somehow.

I opened the gate gently and went inside, taking out my bobby pin to break the lock.

I was about to put in the pin, when the door opened from the inside to reveal Mayor Walker. I ducked behind a bush just in time.

"Sheriff, pick up your damn phone, it's Noble. Listen, I might have figured out who's behind all of this. Let's meet at Weathervane."

Okay, I felt this was something real and the only logical conclusion to me seemed to get in the trunk of his car incase he had anymore revealing conversations.

Making the least amount of noise humanly possible, I opened the trunk of his car and got in. He got in the car, unsuspecting that there was a teenager in the trunk of his car and stopped it before the beloved coffee shop and got out.

I propped myself up, still hiding in the trunk.

It happened before I could even process it.

The Mayor was hit by a speeding Cadillac.

I got out and ran toward him to find the Sheriff holding his head up, blood frothing at his mouth.

"Call 911! Somebody get me an ambulance."

I sat in a booth, looking extremely shaken, with the sheriff sitting opposite me.

"What were you doing in the back of the SUV, Rose?"

I lot of replies were coming to my mind, just to diffuse the tension - wanted to get the gen Z Wattpad feels of being kidnapped, I figured if I could survive like that, I would be as tough as Harry Potter. But looking at Sheriff's face, I thought I shouldn't joke around right now.

I explained in the most non - suspicious, nicest way that I saw him coming out of the Gates mansion.

I refused to answer him when he questioned me as to what I was doing at the Gates mansion.

Guess what, the Wednesday Addams tactic of pretending like the other person never asked you a question actually works.

"I overheard the voicemail and I was curious. I had heard rumors about what happened to the family. No one left."

"Yeah, so you thought of going ghost hunting at the place?"

"Something weird is happening and if you just choose to move past your prejudice of the outcasts, you would see it too."

I left the booth, feeling angry, scared and disappointed. Of course I wouldn't be getting away without consequences. I opened the door to my house quietly, trying to sneak it, but was met with a very disappointed looking father in the hall.

"We need to talk Rose."

You know how your brain gets a fight or flight response. Well, my fight response often took the form of the most ridiculous, inappropriate humor in any situation. I wanted to respond with a Yes, we do! but I stopped myself just in time.

"I received a call from the Sheriff. He said that you were in the trunk of the Mayor's car."

Hearing these words coming out of his mouth, I realized how ridiculous the entire situation was and just wanted to laugh.

"Not only that, you were at the Gates mansion. What were you doing there Rose? Is this something to do with the Hyde? Are you trying to willingly put yourself in such dangerous situations? Do you not realize how stupid that is?"

I knew that he was just trying to protect me, but hearing him say all this just angered me.

"Oh really dad. It's stupid? Did you realize that nine years ago when you put yourself and mom in that very situation? At least I am not out there chasing some mad obsession and being totally inconsiderate about other peoples' feelings. You killed her Dad. You are the reason she's dead."

Dad looked like someone very close to him had died. I was breathing fast, my brain not comprehending the all the hurtful things I had said to my father. I couldn't be there. I ran, not being able to be there for even a minute more.