XXXV. Fancy dying on this beautiful night?

❧

Searing pain rushed through my body, fear squeezing my heart, all my demons surrounding me, I was gasping for breath, running like my life depended on it and I tripped on a twig, coming face to face with the Hyde. It dared me to make a desperate attempt for my life, beg, just to satisfy it's savagery. 

I woke up, paralyzed with fear. While thinking of coming up with ways to uncover the identity of the monster, I had fallen asleep. I was still in the hospital room. Creatures: How to contain them was open on my lap. The taboo surrounding outcasts was still there and the market for these books limited, so it was very difficult to get a hold of them. The existence of outcasts till date was like a shameful and well - kept secret. But Dad had access to these books and reading about them would always help me know them a little better. 

The clock read 12:30.

I am going to have a hard time falling asleep now. 

With little hope, I texted Enid - Fancy a stroll to the Crackstone crypt?

Enid must have thought that I am out my mind, for I received a call, "Fancy dying on this beautiful night?"

Her voice had gotten really high and I let out a laugh hearing her. 

"I woke up and I am not going to get any sleep now, so the point is are you coming? Join me on: E.R. - Adventures of the insane insomniacs?"

"Only because I won't be able to live with the guilt of you dying."

"It fills my heart with love, knowing your selfless motives."

I always had a torch, matches and nightshade vial with me, and I figured this would at least offer some protection. 

I met Enid on the way to the crypt, excited and fearful of what we were going to discover. 

I sang a painful rendition of Obsessed by Mariah Carey while Enid butchered Real Slim Shady. 

We reached the crypt and I was hit by the memories of the last time I was here with Tyler. Finding myself getting flustered with flashes of that night, I attempted to redirect my attention. 

I couldn't get what Xavier had said out of my mind, about the inscription on the crypt. I had dismissed the thought that night, nonchalant, but it had stuck so I thought of coming back.  

"Hey, what's this?"

I had almost forgotten that I wasn't there alone. 

Enid had stumbled upon a beautiful yellow rose pendant.

"This looks recent. Someone must have dropped it while they were sneaking in here."

Enid and I thoroughly combed the place, hoping to find some other clue, but returned to our respective places sans anymore clues.