Questioning Hopes

|=====|=====|

TW/CW: N/A

Characters: Scar, BadTimes

Style: Backstory, mild angst?

Word Count: ~360

AU: Mortuus AU

|=====|=====|

His legs dragged underneath him as he moved through the halls. His breaths caught in his throat, scared to escape and break the silence that hovered in the air, thick and heavy. The darkness formed around him like a swarm of bees. It twisted and curled into empty spaces reminding him that there was nowhere to hide. How could he hide from his own memories?

Scar didn't recognise this part of the mansion. The light from his torch offered a warm glow that stretched out across the space. He hummed as he moved to ward off the strange silence that filled the building. His steps were light and careful, wary of hidden traps and rotting floorboards. How can so much be hidden from view?

He paused, his heart echoed in the silence as he refused to believe that it was anything more than that. More willing to accept he was crazy than to hope for help to be coming. He knew better. How could he dare hope for release?

He could have sworn that he had been everywhere, knew every corridor. He probably could have walked them blind. Yet still he couldn't have been here, darkness filled the spaces his torch didn't reach like it wanted to smother him. How can something not be there and then be there?

He had been there for so long yet knew nothing. The walls constantly changing, folding in on themselves to create something new. How could he find himself without collapsing into someone else?

Something felt familiar, like this whole thing had happened before. Scar knew the idea was stupid but couldn't shake off the feeling. How can things connect without losing themselves?

He watched as the light drew closer, daring to find hope again. How could he have let this go?

He walked down another corridor as something shifted in the darkness ahead. How can lost things find themselves in the darkest places?

He recognised the face that moved towards him unafraid.

He realised who the darkness hid.

How can we forgive ourselves for what we leave behind?

How could we not care for what we find in the darkness?

How do we learn to love those we accepted were gone?

|=====|=====|