one

𝐘/𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕

13 YEARS. I've been holding onto the same dream for thirteen years and it's finally about to come true. In one hour, I'm going to walk through the doors of the Behavioral Analysis Unit and start the job I've been working towards for almost half of my life. After 4 years of undergrad, 3 years in a master's program, 6 years in a forensic psychology PhD program, and 20 weeks of FBI training, I finally earned myself a spot at the BAU.

The BAU is legendary to everyone in the criminal justice field, the cream of the crop. They have some of the smartest minds in the country. Including Spencer Reid, who taught a couple of my classes in grad school, so it'll be nice to already know someone.  I did meet Unit Chief Emily Prentiss during my interview. Although, she was spaced out for half of it and seemed like she would rather be getting her teeth pulled than listen to me talk. So, I was surprised when she called last week and told me I got the job. 

This is why I'm in my closet, which looks like it's been hit by a tornado, trying to find an outfit. 

"Too slutty?" I asked Ivy, my black cat as I held up a lowcut black dress. She meowed as she perched at the bottom of my feet. "I'll take that as a yes," I laughed as I put the dress back on the hanger. Most of my wardrobe was not business attire, since I had the salary of a recently employed college student with thousands of dollars in student debt.

 After looking through my entire closet for what felt like the hundredth time, I finally decided on a black pantsuit and a white button-up top. Simple and classy..... good enough. I headed to the bathroom to do my makeup and hair. I didn't have a lot of time so I did light makeup and loose curls. I put my hair half up and pulled out some pieces in the front. Perfect

I immediately headed to the kitchen and started making a cup of coffee, not that I even needed it. I was basically bouncing up and down with excitement. I barely slept last night, but not a single part of me was tired. I've been dreaming about this day for years, absolutely nothing could deplete my excitement. While I waited for my coffee, I packed everything I needed. My laptop, some textbooks, extra clothes just in case we got called in on a case, my lunch, and finally, my gun and badge.

 Two minutes later, my coffee was done so I poured it into a travel mug, grabbed my stuff, and headed to the front door to put on my shoes. I decided on a pair of lowcut black boots, they were cute and durable in the field.

I said goodbye to Ivy and walked out the front door of my apartment at exactly 7:25. That means after my fifteen-minute drive to Quantico, I'll have five minutes to mentally prepare myself in the parking lot and five minutes to walk from my car to the sixth floor. Which means I'll be ten minutes early, an ideal time. Let's do this.

𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I ALWAYS wondered why Hotch never smiled. But now I get it, I really fucking get it. It's budget meeting after budget meeting. I review dozens of cases and can only hope I'm picking the right one. I stay hours after everyone else leaves to rewrite case files because apparently, no one on this fucking team can do it correctly.

If I had told myself ten years ago that I spend every weekend in my office doing paperwork, she would be appalled. 

"Earth to Emily!" A voice said pulling me out of my thoughts. I look up and see JJ standing in the doorway of my office with a smile. I returned a fake smile. "What can I do for you?" I asked, slightly annoyed by how she could be happy this early in the morning. She gave me a weird stare before responding.

"Um, the new agents here."

"Why? She doesn't start till Tuesday." I said, my annoyance starting to grow. 

"Emily, it is Tuesday," JJ said with a hint of concern in her voice. 

I instantly pulled out my phone to see that it was in fact Tuesday. Shit.

"Could you give her a tour of the BAU and introduce her to everyone? Then you can send her to my office." I told JJ with a tight-lipped smile before focusing my attention on the mounds of paperwork I still need to do. In all honesty, I didn't even want to hire another agent. It felt too soon, It had only been two months since Stephen Walker was killed. Since I got him killed.....

But the director wanted his position filled as soon as possible, so here we are. A new agent that I have to train as if I actually have time to do that. 

"I can, but I think it would be better if you gave her the tour. I mean you're going to be the one she works closest with." JJ said politely. I knew she was right, but my day was already shit and I didn't have time for this.

"JJ, I told you to give her the tour. So give her the damn tour." I ordered without looking up from my desk. I could feel her eyes on me and the frown of hurt from the doorway. The old me would be horrified that I talked to someone like that, let alone one of my best friends. But I don't have it in me to care right now. I heard JJ leave with a huff. 

Well, today's off to a great start.

A/N: Hey guys!! I'm so excited for you to read this. Just for clarification, this takes place in the beginning of season 13. Y/n is 29 and Emily is 39 (She's obviously older than 39 in season 13 of the show, but I wanted to keep her younger). Thank you so much for reading!! I love you guys!!