thirty one

𝐘/𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I tried to extract myself from Emily's arms when I heard JJ enter the kitchen with her spare key. However, Emily's grip tightened as she held me closer. I just smiled and sent JJ a quick text to bring the pizza upstairs.

Less than a minute later JJ poked her head through the door and I motioned for her to come in. She chuckled at the situation as she flopped onto the bed next to me and opened the pizza box.

"So, how was your first day as unit chief?" I asked as I pulled out a slice of pizza trying to be careful to not make a mess.

"Awful, I don't know how Hotch and Emily did it. The only thing I do know is that I don't want the job." JJ sighed and I nodded.

"How's Will taking it?" I asked.

"He's fine with it. I mean, it is only temporary. Or at least it better be." JJ said seriously.

"We'll figure it out," I said reassuringly.

"So, uh, exactly how much did she have to drink," JJ said changing the subject as she gestured to Emily.

"Enough to make her whiny and clingy. So probably around 7 to 8 drinks." I chuckled as I ran my fingers through her hair.

"You know, sometimes I look at Emily and don't even see the same person anymore," JJ said with a smile.

"Is that a  good or bad thing?"

"A good thing. A really good thing. I am so happy you two found each other." JJ said sincerely and I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Me too." I beamed.

"Me three," Emily mumbled, nearly giving JJ and me a heart attack. "Jesus Christ Emily!" I yelped.

"What? You two talk really loud." Emily muttered as she sat up slowly. "Oh, pizza!" She said as she reached over to grab a slice. She took a bite as she eyed the two of us. "Okay, not that I am opposed to having two women in my bed-" Emily started before she earned a whack to the arm from JJ. "You are a dog sometimes Emily Prentiss."

"OW! I was kidding!" Emily said with a pout.

"Told you she was whiny," I whispered to JJ and she just chuckled.

"Anyways, if this is supposed to be a girl's night, it's downright depressing," Emily interjected as she took a bite out of her pizza.

"Well, there isn't really anything to be celebrating," I said cautiously, trying to ease the way into a very needed conversation.

"What? You guys don't want to celebrate my suspension?!" Emily said jokingly although I could hear her voice laced with aggravation. "Or how about JJ's promotion?" Emily added and I felt JJ stiffen next to me.

Emily winced and looked at JJ apologetically. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. It's not your fault JJ, this is all just some bureaucratic political bullshit."

"Yeah, and that's why we'll figure out something to fix all of this," I said and Emily just scoffed. "There is no fixing this."

"You don't know that-" I started before Emily cut me off.

"Yes, I do. This is politics. What's done is done." She said as she bit her lip.

"So, you're just giving up?" JJ frowned as she crossed her arms.

"What else am I supposed to do? And besides, Barnes' vendetta seemed to be aimed toward me rather than the BAU. So, if you do a good job as chief she'll keep the unit together."Emily said with a shrug.