twenty one

𝐘/𝐍 𝐏𝐎𝐕

WE WERE on our way back from the case and the jet was silent. Everyone was asleep except for Emily and me. She had been avoiding me like the plague since the whole parking lot "thing" last night so she was currently sitting in the back of the jet staring out the window. There was an ache in my heart from the way she looked. Did I really upset her that much putting my life on the line like that?

Shit. I knew I messed up but now I know I really did.

Before I realized what I was doing I was walking across the jet and took a seat across from her. She didn't even look up. It hurt a little but it wasn't unexpected.

"Hey," I said quietly.

"If you're here to ask me to unsuspend you from the field, my answer is no." She said without even looking away from the window. I bit the inside of my cheek and tried to ignore the hurt in my heart from her thinking I'm only talking to her because of my fucking job.

"That's not why I came over here."

She finally looked up at me but I couldn't read her face.

"I'm sorry that I scared you," I said quietly. She was silent for a moment.

"You didn't scare me. You terrified me." She said seriously. This time her eyes didn't betray her, they were stone-cold like the rest of her face. I stared at her stunned. Emily Prentiss was not a woman who admits fear easily, let alone ever.

"And it's not easy to terrify me." She added.

"Should I take that as a compliment or..." I said trying to lighten the mood. Her intense stare was making me uncomfortable and humor was an easy way to deflect it.

"You were reckless and could have been killed." She said seriously, ignoring my attempts to brighten the conversation.

"I know-"

"No, I don't think you know. Because if you did, you would realize your actions affect more people than yourself and you would stop being so careless." She said coldly.

I stared at her stunned. "I'm sorry," I said quietly. I honestly didn't know what else to say.

"Then don't do it again." She fired back.

We were silent for a minute and the way she stared at me made me melt. You know what? Fuck being nonchalant I can't take this anymore.

"Can I ask you a question," I said. She raised her eyebrows cautiously but nodded.

"Why do you care so much?" I asked softly. She looked at me surprised.

"Because I'm your boss." She said way too quickly so I knew she was lying, that and her body language were currently betraying her. God, I love being a profiler.

"You're lying."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you-"

"Fine, I was lying! Is that what you wanted to hear?" She gritted out which only caused the smile on my face to get bigger. "I knew it! Okay, next question-"

"No, it's my turn to ask a question." She said interrupting me. I nodded but the look on her face was making me nervous.

"Who were you thinking about when you kissed JJ?"

I froze. Oh fuck. There was no way in hell I was about to admit that I imagined kissing her to her face.

"No one," I answered with a shrug.