thirty six

𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"We're not solving this fast enough," Barnes told all of us.

"Oh, we're not? What exactly are you doing to help?" I scoffed. I heard JJ sigh from across the room and Tara's stifled chuckle next to me.

"I want this case done by tonight." Barnes gritted out, sending me a glare before walking out of the North Carolina precinct.

"Bitch." I mumbled under my breath and JJ let out another sigh, "Well, you heard her. Emily and I will go over the crime scene again. Spencer and Matt keep working on the geographical profile. Dave and Tara will reinterview the witnesses."

I tried not to let out a groan at the fact that I had to work with JJ. However, she did somehow get me my job back three weeks ago so I guess I can't complain. And with this being my first case back it made sense that I was stuck with the unit chief. 

"Okay, three victims in three days," I said, going over the case out loud again as we walked to the car. "All blondes in their late 20s, all taken from public places. Signs of torture on all the women but COD was strangulation." I continued as I got into the passenger seat of the car.

"Can you stop antagonizing her?" JJ said, cutting me off. I scoffed as I turned to look at her, "I'm the one that's being antagonizing?!"

"Yes! Barnes is already a default pain in my ass, you aren't. So stop being one!" JJ leaned her head against the seat and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"God, I sound just like you." She sighed before I could say anything.

"Rude." I frowned. 

"No, it's just that now I get why you were such a bitch when you were unit chief."

"Still rude," I muttered.

"Sorry," JJ said as she backed the car out of the parking spot.

"No, you're not." I rolled my eyes and she just shrugged. "I'm not." 

We were silent for the next couple of minutes as I reread the file. It should have been a cut-and-dry case. All the victims were surrogates for the unsub but we were having no luck figuring out who. 

"I'm trying to make a plan," JJ said when we stopped at a red light.

"For?"

"Taking Barnes out."

"Like...on a date? Or with a gun?" I frowned.

"Pain. In. The. Ass. I'm trying to get her fired." She said, hitting me in the shoulder, surprisingly hard, after every word.

"Ow," I muttered, but I couldn't help but smile that things between us were back to normal. "Well, what have you come up with so far?" I asked as the light turned green.

"Legally? Nothing." She hesitated and I crossed my arms, "She pawned my girlfriend off to the CIA. I don't give a fuck if it's legal or not."

"Well, we need to do something and soon. I can't do this anymore." She said seriously and I nodded in agreement.  "We'll figure something out. I promise." And I meant it.

Ten minutes later we were at the crime scene, "So the victims were dumped here. No signs of remorse." JJ said as we walked along a small creek hidden by the side of the road. "He could have put them in the water, but he didn't. Why?" JJ continued, more talking to herself than me. 

I was partially paying attention but was more focused on our predicament with Barnes. "We could blackmail her," I suggested, cutting off whatever JJ was going to say next.