thirty

𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐏𝐎𝐕

I SAT in my office, half paying paying attention to Y/n talk about the some study she read and the other half of my attention was scrolling through my email. Y/n had just gotten back to work last week so she was more upbeat than she normally was. However, this used to be an everyday occurrence so I knew that Y/n didn't really care if I was listening or not, she just liked to talk outloud.

She continued her ramble as a I came across an email from Linda Barnes. I looked at the calendar and saw that it was August 3rd. She's only been here for three days and she's already emailing me?

I frowned as I read it. It was a request for a 'confidential' meeting this morning to discuss the future of the BAU.

I replied back with a 'yes' but I already had a bad feeling.

I looked at the clock and saw that I only had about 2 hours till the meeting. I groaned as I ran my fingers through my hair and I heard Y/n stop talking.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just some unit chief stuff." I said with a sigh and Y/n nodded. 

"Okay, I'll leave you be. Lunch later?" She asked as she walked over to give me a kiss on the cheek.

"Of course." I smiled and blew her a kiss as she walked out of the door.

I finished up some paperwork and by 10 am I was heading down to the second floor to find her office. I wasn't even nervous, just pissed that I had to be doing this. I knocked on the door. "Come in." She called out and so I did.

"Agent Prentiss. Hello. Take a seat." She said as she motioned to the seat across from her.

"Agent Barnes." I greeted as I quickly looked around her office. Her entire wall was covered with her accomplishments and had no pictures of kids or anything. Interesting.

"I've heard a lot about you." She said as she closed computer and scooted her chair closer.

"Likewise." I said politely although all I wanted to do was smack that narcissistic tight-lipped smile off her face.

"I have to say, your resume is as impressive as it is concerning." She said.

Damn, right into I guess.

"Ma'am?" I questioned. There was no point in arguing until I knew what to argue about.

"You've ran teams both nationally and internationally and you've taken down an entire terrorist organization during your time undercover. You've done more in your career by 39 than most people would have in three life times."

"Well, all of those things were a team effort." I said with a force smile.

"Selfless. I'm surprised." Barnes noted and I just stared at her.

"Pardon?"

"You're selfless. You can't even take credit for your own achievements Agent Prentiss. One would think that would make you a good leader, but I disagree." She said and I felt my blood starting to boil.

"Ma'am-"

"You seem to care more about team loyalty than bureaucrat policy. You aren't objective enough and that puts your entire unit and everyone involved with you in danger. That's not even mentioning the units reputation that you have tarnished while in leadership. "

"Excuse me?!" I scoffed.

"Your unit is reckless Agent Prentiss. Take Dr. Reid for example. He was arrested in Mexico on murder and drug possession charges-"