Chapter 5|The Battle Is Over

The Gruff turned its back to Emmani and its wings flapped powerful winds, smashing him against the wall of the Coliseum, the ice Chakram clanging on the ground.

"Oh!" Logan winced. "That's gotta hurt! Luckily, he has a shield."

The Renguard produced a blue translucent energy sphere around him. As the sphere ripped apart, the wall indented, cream rocks and pebbles falling out.

"Emmani has lost three chances already! Will the last Chakram activate?" Logan said.

Emmani scurried to his right, picking up the ice Chakram and shouting its name. "Wivoza!"

He threw it, as was taught in his training, and expected ice shards or some spectacular spectacle to unfold. Wivoza merely hit the fluffy beast and fell. "Oh! Come on!" He stomped. "The rest didn't work! Do something!"

With the other three Chakrams scattered behind the Gruff, Emmani was defenseless. As if The Gruff knew this, it flew up, it's short legs lagging.

"What is the Gruff up to? Get it?" Logan smirked, but not a soul laughed. "Up to? Because it's up- oh nevermind."

The beast curled itself into a fury ball and spiked its fur. Its wings were the only appendage sticking out and keeping it afloat... until it struck. The Gruff barreled towards Emmani, hitting the ground, and rolling at full speed.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit!" Emmani ran as fast as his two skinny legs could, but the Renguard produced the sphere around him before he was crushed.

"Oh!" Logan and the audience winced. "That's gotta hurt way more!"

Abayomi played the flute into the microphone to calm the beast, and it unfolded, swaying to the tunes. As the last note played, it puffed and plopped itself on the ground.

"Okay!" Logan said. "Guards, please pick up the Chakrams around the Gruff."

Four guards ran into the arena, giving Abayomi the Chakrams as they found them. Emmani trudged past the head guard and he patted his back.

"You tried at least, kid, thank you."

He slumped his shoulders and dragged his feet along the ground. Stepping into the lit enclosure under the stands, Henry hugged him.

"A guy can dream, right?" Emmani said, hugging back.

"I'm sure being a Prince isn't worth it anyway." Henry then pulled away.

He turned, crinkling his eyebrows when everyone stared at him. Some in awe, others in disbelief.

"What?" He said.

"We all had our turn." Avi murmured, avoiding his gaze.

"You're the only one left. Which means..." Jaleel pointed at him. "You must be the Prince."

Henry turned, looking outside. They placed the Udini Chakrams on a table just outside the enclosure. And the Gruff sat, spinning its eyeball like a wheel couple feet over.
What if he was the prince?

My whole life... changes just like that. He squeezed his pants and Abayomi walked past him.

"You all had a chance, but no results. That could only mean..." He turned to Henry.

"You."

"Me?"

"It's your turn."

Henry pointed outside. "Wait so, I still have to fight?"

"You might be the last one, but you're not excused. We need to confirm." He looked down, accounting for the Renaguard on his shirt. "So, go for it. Give it your all, like the rest of them did."

The awe-struck disbelief on everyone's faces left a chill on the nape of Henry's neck. Or maybe it was the wind. He walked into the arena, squinted in the sunlight, and now wished for the Gruff's shadow, but it darkened the audience behind the beast.

"Well, everyone..." Logan announced. "This is our last attempt to activate the Chakrams. Give it up for Henry Shane!"

The crowd clapped while Henry bit his lip and clutched his elbow. He didn't dare look up at the people. The demoniacal eyes and smirks haunted his vision. As he picked up the four Chakrams, his arms dropped and shoulders trembled. They were heavier than he imagined, yet it was easy pickings for the rest of the boys.

He pitied himself. That just means they're stronger than me...

He tried to hold all four in one hand, but he instantly fell. The crowd snickered, and many laughed at him.

Don't look... that's all.

He got up and distributed the weight, ice and lava in the left, and flora and lightning in the right.

Facing the Gruff, it stopped playing with its eye, looked at him, and stood. Henry's breath a shaken mess, he tried to control it before someone blew the horn.

Too late.

The Gruff snarled and roared, its teeth dripping with saliva and claws bared at its side. Henry ran as the Beast chased him, but the weight slowed him down.