Chapter 7|The Prince

Just as Cedric vanished, Henry ran into the coliseum, a heaving mess. Guards in the arena threw electric ropes at the beast, but it was all repelled.

Safe behind the protective barrier, the heavy knot in Henry's chest unraveled as his friends and family were unharmed. Scared shitless, but unharmed.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Henry has returned and... wait are those what I think they are?" Logan called everyone's attention to the four colourful rings decorating Henry's left hand.

The Gruff roared much louder, it's tail thrashing and bashing the barrier. It glitched so much it could break at any moment.

"Guards!" Abayomi threw electric ropes at the beast. "Control that tail! The barrier can break!"

"Sir!"

Henry took in the situation. As much as his veins beat like a stereo and his arms and legs were petrified, a nagging military sergeant spat in his face to get out there.

Move!

His rapid fire heartbeat could be explosive.

Help them!

His sense of time being skewed, the seconds of horror before him muddled in his mind.

Coward!

Towering bodies of fear, disappointment, and rage scowled at Henry. It was as if they imprisoned him in a cage, and the key was the short, stubby body of courage merely a hand-stretch away. But fear did its job. He didn't even twitch a finger to try. His feet remained rooted to the ground, and no amount of screaming and roaring could up heave those roots.

Gazing at the fight ahead, Henry jolted out of his trance when the Gruff's wings fluttered and golden, sparking dust trickled out. He moved in what felt like years of frightful stillness.

"Get away from it!" Abayomi ordered, and the men retracted their shining, white ropes.

"This is not good." Logan said. "Folks, the Gruff is transforming into an Agresea!"

The fear of death manifested itself in screams, horrified murmurs, and everyone trying to escape with their family and friends intact.

"Regents! Any thoughts on the situation?" Logan looked at the stand-in rulers.

"Citizens!" The temporary King Favian rushed to the front, mic in hand. "I know this is terrifying, but the barrier is the only thing protecting you all from the Gruff! If you leave, your loved ones will be in more danger than if you stayed! Not to mention it will follow the trail of humans running from the coliseum and strike your homes and whoever you have waiting there!"

Teeming with fright and dread, Henry's loved ones were the first to return to their seats.

"More chaos will only cause more chaos." Favian said.

The skeptical eyes searched for reassurance in their partners, parents, guardians, relatives, and friends. The Gruff flew to the air, growling, and everyone ran to their seats, putting all their shattering hope of survival in the barrier.

As the Gruff descended, Henry's faith in winning wilted, petal by petal.

Seeing an Agresea might be normal for the Equireldians, but it being his first time, he gaped horrifically at the massive creature. It's thick yellow wings could probably create hurricanes with a single flap. Or maybe it hid a tsunami or earthquake under its long flowery yellow dress.

As the cool air of the unsettling night approached, light stands beamed incredibly luminous light into the coliseum. Regrouping, Abayomi and the guards ran to Henry.