Chapter 15|A Moment

Ingrid ran down the hall, her heels clacking loudly on the tiles and the echo ricocheting off the concrete walls. She panted for breath with each sprint as if being chased by a demon. As much as her legs ached and her heels pulsed with stinging pain, she ran until she reached the guest room.

Pushing the door, she searched for her brother amongst the bodies lying in the beds of the room.

Henry was slumped over Ezra and he jolted when Ingrid came up beside him.

“What happened to my brother?” Ingrid tried to contain her tears wanting to spill out.

Ezra’s shoulder was a stitched, wrapped and reddening mess. He had lost so much blood, his warm ivory skin shifted to the paleness of death. Luckily, Henry and him were the same blood type for the transfusion.
“He…” Henry shuttered, his eyes clouding with tears. “He saved me. He-he pushed me out the way before that snake could eat me.”

With tears cascading down his face, he turned to face her. She blinked a dozen times unsure of what the hell he was talking about.

While the rest of the medics left the room, Henry babbled about every single detail. His voice shaking more and more the closer he got to Ezra’s injury.

“That stupid fool!” Ingrid blurted, thankful they were alone.

“I’m so sorry, Princess!”

“It’s not your fault. I knew my brother was going to rush off into danger like he always does. When I turned around and I didn’t see you two behind me, my chest felt like it was burning. I just wished I had come with the guards to find you. Maybe-“

Henry shook his head. “I don’t know what would have happened if you were there, things could have gotten worse.”

Ingrid sighed, placing a finder on her temple. Henry looked again at a pale, sleeping Ezra, his breathing rhythmically slow. He clenched the bed sheets, cursing himself. Why didn’t he just lead him and Ezra away when he had the chance? Why the fuck didn’t he move when he saw the snake come at him? Even when he saw Bristine coming at him?

So many fucking things I could have done! This wouldn’t have happened!

He raised his head from the gunk of shame he pulled from the trenches of his mind. He’s been in this room for at least an hour now, and Ezra hadn’t even fidgeted a finger. He watched with sullen eyes as Ingrid placed the back of her hand on his forehead.

“He’s still a little warm at least, and he’s breathing…”

As her shoulder dropped, heavy with relief, her lips quivered and a tear slipped from her eyes. Worried sick since the two of them snuck off, she hadn’t bared her emotions before her.

But no more. No longer could she suppress the ache burning her chest again and the turmoil rummaging through every nook and cranny of her mind.

“Princess, you’re-“

She covered her eyes, but her lips still quivered. “I’m sorry, I was just so worried when I heard he-” She couldn’t speak through the tears.

Henry turned to her, his sullen expression now soft and empathetic. He stepped closer, then embraced her in a hug. “Don’t apologize for having emotions. You might be royalty, but you’re still human, Princess.”

That just turned the water works to a waterfall. Ingrid wrapped her arms around Henry’s neck, him being taller, the hug comforted her.

He comforted her.

After she wetted Henry’s shoulder, they parted.

“Sorry about your shirt.”

“It’s okay, I never liked the royal attire anyway.”