Chapter 21|Confession and a Surprise

The sight of Ezra hyperventilating at Henry’s door punctured his heart, all the happiness leaking out. Anxiety invaded, and it beat faster.

He ran away for a reason, and now that reason stood upright, calming himself and watching him with that fierce determination. A look that said: I will not leave; I demand to be heard.

Henry took in a sharp breath and tapped Fallon’s shoulder. “I got this.”

He walked outside, the door left wide open for everyone, even Cedric, to witness what was about to happen. Henry folded his arms, a sure sign of discomfort.

With a concrete fence and a steel fortress protecting his heart locked in a cage, he straightened his slumped shoulders and looked into Ezra’s startling still gaze.

“What do you want?”  He choked out.

“You, Henry.”

Ezra stepped closer, but Henry didn’t twitch a muscle, determined to show dominance and composure.

“When Ingrid told me you left, I dropped everything to find you, even the meeting I had with my family. I’m gonna get an ear full from my parents when I come back, but you were all I could think about. I wouldn’t have paid attention anyway.”

He stepped closer again, Henry still not moving an inch. But his shoulders fell and his arms slackened.

“Henry, I’m so so sorry I tried to manipulate you into marrying me. It wasn’t the right thing to do and I fucking regret it so much! As I got to know you, I realized how absolutely amazing you are, and I feel amazing when I’m with you.”

The stubborn will in Henry's eyes softened and his arms dropped, the concrete fence completely destroyed.

“There’s so much I want to say, so much I want to show how important you are to me. When you left, I felt like this hollow void was awakening inside me. Something primal and frightening. Like when you stand face to face with an Ephaphix. I was scared to lose the first best friend I ever had.”

Henrys’ eyes when wide and the steel fortress and cage rusted to dust. Ezra took his hand and interlocked them, squeezing as if Henry would run away and never return. He was so close he could see himself reflected in Henry’s eyes and an entire lifetime of him and Henry together zipped through his mind.

“I can never undo the damage and hurt I caused you, but I can start repairing. I don’t even care about the stupid marriage; I just care about you. You asked me what I wanted and my answer still stands. I want you, Henry. All the foul-mouth, impatient, brazen, confident, charismatic you. I like you so much. And there’s not a single spec of doubt in my mind.”

Henry’s eyes were now wide as a saucer. He hadn’t blinked so long droplets slid down his cheek. Ezra wiped them with his thumb and cupped his face, soft and gentle.

“Please, forgive me.”

Henry closed his eyes, leaning into the touch, and his hand automatically rested upon Ezra’s. He nodded. “Yes.” Then sniffled. “I forgive you.”

Ezra pulled him into a bone-crushing hug, burying his head into the crook of his shoulder. Everyone bulging their eyes out at the door cheered, whistled, and clapped.

Miyu, Andre, Harper and Cedric, all except Fallon. Screams went off alright, but in his heart. A spirit sucking, heart smashing, echoing scream of sheer pain.

“Thanks guys!” Henry laughed, turning to watch them. “Fallon, why are you crying?”
He looked up, wiping his tears. “Oh, I’m just so happy for you too.” He sniffled. “You’ll make a beautiful couple.”