Chapter 13|The Present Past

I wish you had seen mom and dad's faces, Henry.

I peeked into the room as the maids gave mom the baby she just sweated cannons balls to conceive. Anxious to know if I had a sister or brother, I cleared my throat, announcing myself.

"Cedric?" Mom called. Laying in her mahogany sheeted bed, the maids left, and I walked in.

"Brother... or sister?" I said, softening my eyes to match hers.

I came around to the side holding her sallow hand.

"You've got a baby brother."

As soon as those words left her lips, I cried. I didn't care if I got a sister or a brother. My heart beat so fast just from knowing I had a sibling.

Dad knocked on the door, peeking, then walking in. Those many years ago, his stocky body figure was shifting to chubby, and a stubble grew on his face, the colour matching his brown hair.

"Boy or girl?" He asked, eyes wide and searching.

Mom nodded. "Boy." She cried. "It's a boy."

Dad flipped over the sheets and cuddled her, each tear and shudder of his body brimming my eyes again.

He kissed her sweating forehead and stroked her short, frizzy brown hair. I sat in the bed, up against the golden headboard, hugging mom and smiling at you, Henry.

We loved you instantly. Your giant, beautiful brown eyes and wandering fingers stretched to me.

"What's his name?" I asked them both, and they looked at each other, then smiled. I already knew they had names picked out for if you were a boy or a girl.

"Henry Lucius Monté." Mom said. "Named after..." She didn't need to say a word after that. Dad and I knew she was honouring grandpa Henry. He was murdered a hero, saving all three of us when I was only eight years old.

When you were born that late afternoon, we sat there as a complete family for a first time, and it was like the world was under a spell. Everything just... stopped, and it was just us four.

But as the evening drew near, the spell was broken. A bomb exploded in the heart of the City. Everyone ran and scream as more bombs detonated. And soon enough, the screams ended. I didn't know which was more horrific; the screaming of hundreds of people dying... or screams ending, whispering to me in the silence they were already dead.

"Guards!" Dad called and three stepped into the room. "Protect Queen Benedetta!" He raged past them.

"Yes sir!"

I stayed in the room, a twenty-one-year-old trained prince, trembling and sweating. Although I tried not to show it, mom saw through me like glass.

"Cedric."

I turned frantically.

"I know this is frightening love, but we haven't the time. I need you to take Henry... and run."

"What!"

"We have to protect the heirs to the throne."

"We have to protect you too, and dad!"

"My sweet Ceddy, listen."

And as I did, arrows flew through the air, guns and more bombs banged and exploded... more people screaming so loudly the halls of the palace carried their echoes. They were dying.

"This is an ambush, and it will stretch into a war. I just know it," Mom said. "And as much as Rion is the Strength of Uldine, I don't think we can win this fight. And just in case we don't..." She tried to move, but I rushed to stop her.