Chapter 38|Communication

Henry swore if he bit Fallon's lip something would ooze out. It was so soft and chewy, like those bubble gums with the jelly filling.

Holding his wait felt like holding a firm, curvaceous hour glass. It came so naturally he had to move his fingers to know where he had placed them.

It’s not the first time they’ve kissed, but this time was so… electric; like thirsty land begging for rain.

Henry wanted to do it again… and much more, but as he blinked out his trance, Fallon was running away.

“Wait! Fallon please!”

He was about to bolt, but turned to Ezra, motionless and petrified in the drizzling rain. Henry ran to him, and with caution, took his hand. He expected Ezra to pull away, furious and hurt, but his hand was so limp and cold. It could be the rain, or the fear.

“Ezra… baby. Hey.”

Henry caressed his cheek, and Ezra automatically leaned into his touch. “Are you okay? Listen… I don’t know how to explain what you saw. Fallon kissed me and… I had all right to push him away but, I didn’t. That’s not because I have feelings for him.” He winced. “It hurts to even say that now I know the truth, but I’m in love with you, okay. So please, don’t be mad, I just got back Cedric and now Fallon’s… well I don’t know what he feels right now. But I need you.”

Ezra removed Henry’s hand and focused on his enlarged pupils. A shaky breath puffed out of him, and as much as he wanted to speak, this glue of bafflement pasted his mouth shut.

There was a mental blockade somewhere, but the problem wasn’t lifting it. For that wall of bumfuzzled thoughts and emotions was lighter than air. He just didn’t want to face what was on the other side. What if it was jealousy? Or hatred? Or worse… a break up.

“Ezra… please,” Henry cried. “Talk to me.”

He wanted to, he really did, but he was in a state of psychological petrification. He didn’t want to think at this moment.

He couldn’t.

Ezra just stood there. They say one must face the music eventually, well, the music for Ezra was disconnected at the source of his heart.

“Go.” He finally spoke as Henry cried in front of him, apologizing profusely.

“Wh-what?” He said, sniffling.

Ezra smiled and wiped Henry’s tears with his thumbs. “Go after Fallon. I’m okay, right now your friendship is in jeopardy. I know how important he is to you, and I would never want to be the cause for breaking up anything between you two. You’re both irreplaceable to each other. Now go. Run after him.”

“Are you sure?”

“If you don’t I’m not kissing you for two weeks.”

And from that, Henry knew their relationship was at least okay. He smiled and wiped the rest of his tears. “Thank you.”

✧✧✧

The rain ceased as the sun peeked out, leaving in its bright embrace a heavy film of humidity.

Henry felt like he could barely walk in this balmy weather. Although he wandered the prairies, the place might as well be a desert.

He’d been walking and running for fifteen minutes now. Where could a black guy with gray hair camouflage himself in a field of greenery?

Then he saw it.

Another single herkit tree. He saluted and squinted to ensure it wasn’t a mirage. His breathing was heavy and when he rounded the thick trunk, Fallon was an ostrich and his knees were the sand.