Part 1: Just an ordinary guy

One day, Y/n was watching television in their room. They clicked the channel button on the remote until they saw their favorite show. They decided to watch it while attempting to study, but failed and got distracted. They kept watching the show until they heard a doorbell ring.

"Hey," a familiar voice said. "Hey!" Erica, Y/n's mom responded. Y/n took a peek from their room to see who it was. They never liked when guests came over unless it was their friends or grandparents. They could only see so much from the crack they made by opening the door. 

"Why didn't anyone tell me it was career day?" the voice said. Y/n then realized it was Larry, their father. They immediately opened their door and ran out. "Yo, dad! It's been a while!" they put their hand out for larry to dab up. "Y/n, it's been three days" Larry chuckled, dabbing them up. "What do you mean no one told you? Nicky said he'd tell you" Erica said. Larry paused for a moment. "Oh, okay. I guess he forgot." "Hey, dad, it's alright, he just forgot," Y/n said, "If you want, you can come to the (middle/high) school for my parent career day" "Thank you, Y/n, but it's fine," Larry said, scruffing Y/n's hair.

"Uh-oh! There he is!" Don, Y/n's soon-to-be stepdad said, entering the room. "Hey, Don." Larry said, "How are you doing?" "Good" Don said, taking a sip of coffee. there was an awkward silence in the room. "Can you believe this weather? it's quite chilly out." Don said. "Yeah, it is sorta chilly" Y/n responded. "Chilly chilly chilly, Willy, the penguin," Don said. Y/n chuckled a little. Don would always say stuff like that, like the goofball he is. His phone then rang. "Oh, I gotta take this, why don't I tell the little corncob you're here?" He said, picking up the phone and leaving the room. "Your fiance can really fit a lot on that belt, huh?" Larry chuckled. Y/n laughed. "Stop!" Erica said, going to the kitchen. "What? I'm sure he didn't mean it in a bad way" Y/n giggled, "He's like the batman or bond traders" Larry laughed at that comment. "Yeah, that's a way to put it," he said. 

"How's it going with that virtual reality driving range thing you got going on?" Erica asked, pouring Larry a drink of sparkling water, and Y/n some (favorite drink). "It's uh, it's getting there, still waiting for the technology to catch up with the idea, I mean, it's not easy, it's a lot of moving parts and stuff" Larry responded. "Hey, uh, Y/n, how do you think you and Nicky would like Queens?" "Dad, really? Did you get kicked out again? Seriously?" Y/n asked. "What- no, I- I didn't get- ...No.. I didn't get evicted yet," Larry responded. There was a loud silence in the room. "Larry, I don't think Y/n and Nicky should stay with you."

"What?!" Y/n said, choking on their drink. Larry came up to them and helped them with their drink. "I'm sorry, just until you have everything figured out. it's been a new job, new city, and new apartment, It's too much instability. If it weren't for Y/n and Nicky, I would stay out of it, but it's too much instability, it's not good for them." Erica responded. "It's not permanent, it's just until you get really settled." Y/n wanted to say their thoughts on this, "Mom, I-" but got interrupted by Nicky entering the room. 

"Hey, dad" He smiled. "Hey, Nicky! Ready to carve it up?" Larry asked, trying to sound cool with hockey slang. "Cool," Nicky smiled. Y/n, Larry, and Nicky then went to the hockey game, and everything was fine. 

"I'm tellin' you, Nicky, you really tore it up out there!" Larry said. "He's not lying, Nicky! you could go for NFL one day!" Y/n agreed, putting her arm around Nicky. "Eh, I don't really wanna be a hockey player anymore." There was a pause, while Y/n and Larry looked at each other. "Alright, well, what do you wanna be?" Y/n asked. "A bond trader" Nicky answered. "Really? What Don does?" You asked. "What, so you wanna, like, dress up in a monkey suit every day? I am a robot" Larry teased, imitating a robot. Nicky and Y/n giggled. "You can't play hockey in a cubical" Y/n teased. Everything was fine until Nicky stopped walking. "Hey, Nicky, what's wrong, bud?" Y/n asked. Nicky sighed and looked up at Larry. "Dad, are you really moving again?" Nicky asked. 

"...Maybe, I mean, there are some cool places out in Queens," Larry responded. Nicky looked down, and Y/n looked down at Nicky. "...Hey, you two, look at me," Larry said. Y/n looked at him, but Nicky still looked down. "hey, look at me man, I wanna tell you both somethin'," Larry said, getting Nicky's attention. "Look, I know things for me have been going up and down, and I know that's been hard for you guys... But I feel like my moment's coming, and once it does, everything all just gonna... come together." Larry said. "But what if you're just an ordinary guy who should get a job?" Nicky asked. Y/n looked down at Nicky. "Nicky, don't say that, it's mean," Y/n said. "No, no, Y/n. It's okay." Larry said. "We-We'll figure it out, okay? Now, c'mon, let's get you two back to mom's." he put one hand on Nicky's back, the other on Y/n's as they walked back.