Someone To Fear, Not Hunt

I know what I'm capable of; I am a soldier now, a warrior. I am someone to fear, not hunt.

— Pittacus Lore

***
A new family moves to Paris and gets the gist of the situation.

***

Fox Witch: I asked Rafe for his blessing to post this on Wattpad just to see what will happen, and this is what's going on at the moment. I'm experimenting with different formats for a possible future project. No word yet, but it's in the air.

***

"Put those in the cabinet, not the drawer!" she heard a voice downstairs call. Up in her room, Amaia busied herself by putting away different items she had brought over. Today had been the day they finally completed their move from Spain to Paris. And boy, what a move it was. They had gotten a call from someone about assigning her uncle Salomon to the City of Love for something. What it was, Amaia didn't get the whole story. But it seemed like it was good for his job, so she went with it.

"I'm trying!"

Speaking of.

"Mireya, can you please not misplace them again?" she could hear the exhaustion already in his voice. "I've already had to go look for them ten times this past hour!" Mireya's shrill cackle answered everyone's questions. Alongside adding to Salomon's list of woes to deal with.

"Aye, tio," she heard Mireya say. "It's only to keep you on your toes."

Yeah, better not get involved. Especially when she heard Salomon unleash a stream of swears she didn't dare repeat. Was Mireya already driving him to his limit today? Wow, it's amazing how he didn't pop a blood vessel or two by now. Mireya certainly had that effect on people.

Arf!

"Hm?"

Amaia looked down to see an adorable cotton ball of a puppy running between and around her feet. His baby blue eyes looked up at her. Paws on her leg, tail wagging at maximum speed, jumping up and down trying to get her attention. Completing the effect was the way his tongue lolled out of his mouth. He yipped and jumped. Pawing her leg to maximize his attempts at getting her attention.

"Aye, lobito," she muttered, picking up her puppy and holding him in her arms like a newborn. "Greedy little one, aren't you." The puppy smiled happily up at his owner. Eagerly snuggling against her while she sat down in a nearby chair. With a faint smile of her own, she tickled his hind paw. The puppy squirmed, panting with his tail wagging at high speed. He reached up with a paw to pat his owner's nose. Earning a chuckle from her to his delight.

Riiiiing riiiing!

Her dog yipped in surprise, being spurred from the puppy version of dreamland. Ah, whoops. Probably shouldn't have placed her phone so close to her. Grumbling, she reached for the ringing phone. With a glance at the caller ID, her irritation melted into warm content with a side order of joy. True, she was spending time with her puppy just now. But hey, it was life. Pressing the call button, she answered the person on the other side of the phone.

"Hey, Ben," Amaia said. The image of a redhead with golden amber eyes appeared on her screen. Smiling so brightly she was certain he'd blot out the sun. He bounced up and down in his seat. Ready to chat her ears off.

"Amaia, hey!" Ben chirped. "How is everything?"

"Going well," Amaia replied. With her free hand, she stroked her dog's back. "How are you and Idon settling in?"