The Ones Worth Suffering For

The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.

— Bob Marley

***

The theater club assembles a "bodyguard squad" while they practice.

***

             "Well," Ms. Diamandis sighed, brushing her hair back with her hand, "I think we can all agree we need something a little sturdier than that." Around her, several of the theater club members muttered in agreement. All the while picking up their belongings. Marinette sat down, her face buried in her hands while Eva and Luka guarded her from anyone else wanting to try their luck. Nathaniel and Marc stood off to the side acting as backup. Rachele looked at the group, her face a mix of worry and concern. Her brows pinched together in the middle.

"Was it always that bad?" she asked, arms akimbo on her hips. The Dupont group plus Luka exchanged glances with one another, save for Marinette and Eva. Unease settled between them at Rachele's next words, "I don't know about you, but that's totally not friend material right there."

Marinette was silent. As was Eva.

"To be honest," Nathaniel said, breaking the silence. "I'm not sure anyone was a friend in that class." Ms. Diamandis folded her arms, her lips pursed and her brows furrowed.

"And the trial didn't do anything about it?" Rachele asked. She didn't quite notice how their heads whipped up at the mention. "You'd think they'd know not to do that, but—"

"Wait wait wait wait," Luka fired rapidly. "How do you know about that?" Rachele quirked an eyebrow.

"Know about what?" she asked. Confusion was visible in both parties.

"The trial," Luka pressed. "How do you know about the trial?" Marinette glanced up, dread welling in the pit of her stomach. The trial was supposed to be a private trial. Meaning no one outside of the attendees should have known about it. So for Rachele, an outside party, to know about it...

Rachele tapped her chin. "I read about it on the Ladyblog," she answered. "I don't remember exactly what the blogger said, but she sure was unhappy." She folded her arms and faced the group. "Why do you ask?"

Silence, and then Marinette devolved into quiet sobs. Marc scowled. Nathaniel hissed. Luka froze, the rage radiating off of him. Eva's face was blank, though if one looked carefully they would have seen the depths of her rage threatening to leak out. Even Ms. Diamandis, normally so kind and jovial, wore an expression of white-hot fury. Rachele took a step back, spooked.

"... I think that says enough," Ms. Diamandis said. "Ms. Ermacora, it's advisable that you don't tell anyone else." Rachele raised an eyebrow. "Long story short, the blogger wasn't supposed to put that on the blog." Rachele's eyes swept over the still-furious group.

"... duly noted," Rachele tried to laugh. There was a notable nervousness in her tone. Marinette hiccuped.

"I can't—" she sobbed, "I can't believe she did that..." Eva held her hands, trying to soothe her. Rachele watched, uneasy and unsure what to say. Marc paced back and forth, thinking. Luka sat with Marinette, holding her and letting her cry on him. Nathaniel stared off into the distance, a lost look in his eyes. Ms. Diamandis pinched the bridge of her nose, muttering something in her native Greek. Rachele took one last glance at the group before silently making her way back to practice. All the while, she threw concerned looks over at the pigtailed girl. It was clear she had a lot of questions. But now wasn't the time to ask.