Teaser 1: A Banquet of Consequences

Sooner or later, everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences.

— Robert Louis Stevenson

***

Master Fu discusses the situation with Chat Noir.

***

            "Welcome. I trust Paris has treated you well?"

"As well as can be, given the circumstances."

"Hmhm, I see. I can understand how that would color one's experiences in a new city."

"Pleasant as it can be, I understand you called me here for another reason entirely?"

"... indeed, I have. I wish we could've met under better circumstances. But alas, as of now, I need to talk to you as a fellow Guardian."

"Would it be presumptuous of me to say it's about the Black Cat Holder? That one named Chat Noir?"

"You've done your homework, it seems."

"I pride myself on my investigative integrity."

"As I can see... yes, this does indeed pertain to the problems regarding Chat Noir."

"How so?"

"Firstly, please tell me how much you know."

"Alright, then. Let's start from the top, shall we?"

"Go right ahead."

"For one, I and my team know Chat Noir is Adrien Agreste, the teen model from the Gabriel fashion brand. You can thank a certain classmate for that tidbit. Second, we've kept records of his behavior in and out of the suit. Your concerns about his harassment of Ladybug have, sadly, not been unfounded. The same can be said about his support, or lack thereof, of Marinette in this whole situation with Miss Rossi."

"Hmm..."

"Is something the matter?"

"... too many, I would say. Though my main concern is how to confiscate his ring without adding the burden to Ladybug."

"He's too popular in Paris, unfortunately. If we take his ring right now, it could lead to consequences we're not prepared to handle."

"Do you have any plans for that?"

"... one, but you're not going to like it."

"I'm listening."

"Well, if we want to take his ring without anyone getting akumatized..."

"..."

"... we'll have to shatter Chat Noir's reputation."

"Isn't that too cruel?"

"As I said, it's not something you'll like. Think of it as more of a last resort."

"I see..."

"... are there other options? I doubt we'll be getting out of this without at least one akuma."

"You are correct, unfortunately. He's accumulated too much bad karma to escape it completely, even with everything we do."

"Doesn't he have other family? Besides his father?"

"I believe so. I remember there was an aunt and a cousin from London."

"I think I know who you're talking about. The Graham de Vanily family?"

"That would be them."

"Ah, I see."

"Worst comes to worst, our best option at the end of it all would be to send him to London with his extended family. I'm aware of the recent losses concerning young Mr. Agreste. I'd rather it not escalate further than necessary again."

"I can make some arrangements to get him out of Paris ASAP after we take the ring. I have some connections in London that can make the trip."

"Excellent..."

"... are you alright?"

"... too many things are going wrong at once, is all."

"..."

"I thought I had made the right decision when I chose him to bear the Black Cat. I saw how suffocating his life was."

"..."

"But it seems the freedom and power have gone to his head. Where did it go wrong?"

"Please don't blame yourself. You're human just like I am. It's natural we make mistakes like this every now and then, purposely or not. So, please? Stop blaming yourself. I came here to help you and Ladybug. It wouldn't do any good to disgrace my grandmother by being a subpar Guardian."

"... thank you."