Light Coming From Behind

The future is like a corridor into which we can see only by the light coming from behind.

— Edward Weyer, Jr.

***

Ladybug encounters several surprising things during a routine alert.

***

            When Ladybug got the alert for a nearby akuma, this wasn't what she expected. Sure, Chat Noir hadn't been participating in as many battles lately, but that she could grow accustomed to. She could get used to not being in a toxic environment as Marinette. She could get used to having actual support in her time of need. Heck, she could get used to not needing to save her supposed partner so many times. She'd lost count of how many times the black cat had needlessly thrown himself into danger for her sake. It made her dread how he would bring it up later.

From the distance she was swinging, she could hear a commotion atop the Le Grand Paris. Specifically, in Chloé's room. Ladybug felt her heart pound. Oh no. Had the akuma gotten someone already? Picking up her speed, Ladybug swung into the room through the shattered window.

But when she landed on the penthouse floor, her jaw dropped.

Chloé was standing over an unconscious and armored akuma wielding a club (where did she keep that?). All while keeping a fixed stare yet she looked a tad green. Mr. Oropeza was in another corner of the room being treated for what she realized were multiple lacerations from punching something. One look at the akuma's bloodied visor and Ladybug cringed, her face turning almost as pale as Chloé's. Multiple hotel staff was running around trying to evacuate everyone from the top floor. At least until the akuma was taken care of. Ladybug found herself at a loss for words save for a single question.

"What did I miss?..."

At once, all heads whipped up to see the spotted heroine.

"Ladybug!" Chloé cried, dropping the club. With a loud clang, it ricocheted off the akuma's shattered visor and onto the floor. Ladybug tried not to wince at the volume, but Chloé launching herself at the superheroine chased away all other questions.

"Oof!" Ladybug nearly stumbled at the sudden weight. Had there not been a wall right behind her, she was certain she would have toppled to the floor.

"Oh, Ladybug, it was horrible!" Chloé sniffled. Ladybug initially wanted to brush it off as her being dramatic but... were those real tears on her face? "This—this thing came in and—!" She didn't finish her sentence thanks to Chloé suddenly breaking down into sobs. One glance over at the big-screen television and Ladybug suddenly understood part of what had her so distraught. Those spikes looked like they could kill. Literally.

"May I—" Ladybug was cut off by another sob. "May I inspect the damage, please?" Chloé didn't let go right away. And Ladybug almost didn't blame her. But she had a job to do and that included inspecting the damage done by the akuma. With some gentle persuasion, Ladybug managed to pry the sobbing Chloé off of her.

Kneeling, Ladybug could now see the extent of the damage done to and by the akuma. The visor was shattered in a shape that suspiciously resembled a fist, compounded by the club Chloé dropped on it. A glance back at Mr. Oropeza's bandaged hand answered the question of where the first indent came from. Admirable, but it still freaked her out how he shrugged that off like it was no big deal. Not that she could show it right then and there. The multiple spike dents in the wall suggested a hard collision. Which made the superhero question just how hard the akuma had been punched.