The Mermaid Has No Tears

But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.

— Hans Christian Andersen

***

Mrs. Rossi talks to her daughter about her latest stunts.

***

            Bria had no idea what to do after she had left the bakery. Her mind was too muddled to think clearly. It was a good thing then that she had already clocked out of work for the day. Or else her jumbled mind would have messed something up and tarnished her record. Which would have been the last thing she wanted to have happen given her current situation. Walking through the door to their apartment, Bria took off her heels and set them aside. Sighing, she sat at the dinner table in their apartment and held her head in her hands. Her elbows rested on the top.

As annoying as it was to admit, Lila wasn't too far off in saying she worked at the embassy... as a secretary. Just a simple secretary. She did coffee runs, organized meetings, sorted emails, and made sure things proceeded as scheduled. Contrary to Lila's usual yarns, there was nothing remotely glamorous about her job. Being a background worker in charge of oiling the overall machine was not glitzy enough to impress people. So of course, Lila would embellish it to make herself seem more interesting.

Why she felt the need to do that... Bria had one idea.

Her hand absently wandered over to her ring finger that once held a wedding band. Seven years ago, she was a married woman with a career and a family. Seven years ago, she divorced someone she once thought was a good man. Seven years ago, their lives were forever turned upside down.

It all began when she met and fell in love with one Matteo Cremaschi. Charming and unique, he pulled her in with honeyed promises and sugarcoated words. Hooked her with sweetened poison. She thought she was marrying the man of her dreams when they officially tied the knot that fateful day. Everyone loved him, even her parents, friends, and family. Perhaps, she had mused, this would have been the day things finally went right for her.

It was the biggest mistake she had ever made.

After she was his wife officially, he became cold. Distant. Barely there to give her any attention or affection. He never held a job for long, but he'd always tell her group it was because there was something better down the road. Waiting for him to come and grab it. It was foolish to admit she believed him too. So she held out. And she held out. And she waited. Matteo became possessive. Always told her she needed to rely on him more. Always told her she needed to be home more often for him. Like an idiot, she believed him. Like an idiot, she bought every word her conman spat out. Like an idiot, she thought having a child would mend things between them.

When Lila was born, she held out hope that he would change his ways. Change the way he approached life and honesty. It was ludicrous, admittedly, but she wanted to believe there was still hope for them. Lila needed both her parents in her life. She had talent in the choir, Bria saw. She could rise above and become a star in the music community. With the right group, Lila could even share her angelic voice with the rest of the world. She saw how Matteo's eyes sparkled every time Lila sang. Perhaps this would be the catalyst he needed to change for the better?

Bria's hopes were dashed when Lila came home with an award one time. The next day, the award disappeared. In its place was a wad of extra cash in Matteo's pocket. When the award disappeared, so did the light in her little Lila's eyes.

When she found out what Matteo had done, she saw red. All her pent-up rage and frustration poured out at once. She yelled and screamed. Told him to go get the award back at once. But Matteo didn't care. He brought home money now, didn't she care? Or was she too focused on her career to even see her family anymore? Any other time, Bria would have admitted any wrongdoing. Any other time, she would have acquiesced and buried the issue for another day. Any other time, she would have just carried on as though nothing happened.