Teaser 3: Tell Us We're Wrong

We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we're wrong. Someone we trust.

— David Levithan

***

Salomon and Lila have a talk.

***

            "... excuse me, Mr. Oropeza?"

"Yes, Lila?"

"Is it okay if I... come in?..."

"Certainly. What do you need?"

"..."

"... is something the matter?"

"Erm... I... don't know? I mean, most of the time when someone lets me in, they're an idiot of some kind."

"..."

"Ack! Not-not that I'm saying you're one. It's just that, uh—"

"You're not used to people really listening to you, correct?"

"... how did you..."

"Experience is all I'll say."

"Oh."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you're not the first one who's said something like that to me."

"So it's happened before?"

"More than I can count on one hand."

"Ah."

"That said, what did you need to talk to me about?"

"Well, erm, I just want to ask."

"Go on."

"... erm... how should I put this... you and your family have... been really kind to me and my mom. More than I really deserve at this point. Especially with how bad things got at Dupont, so..."

"..."

"I guess I just really want to know why."

"Why what?"

"Why are you so nice to us? You're not stupid, and from what Idon showed during the trial, I'm pretty sure you know what I've done before Dupont. What I don't understand is how you can be so kind to us knowing what you do. So why?"

"... Lila, I would be an enormous hypocrite if I condemned you for what you've done."

"What?"

"We might not look like it, but adults aren't that different from teenagers once you get to be my age."

"You're kidding, right?"

"I have the experience to back it up."

"Okay, I'm not going to press that anymore."

"Haha, you asked."

"..."

"... does it answer your question?"

"A little bit."

"..."

"Most everyone I've ever talked to says I shouldn't be telling such tall tales anymore now that I'm fifteen. That if I want to make friends, I should just be myself and not let what anyone else think matter. Hmph, as if they don't do it themselves..."

"..."

"You're not going to say anything?"

"How do I say 'you're not wrong' without coming off as yet another condescending adult?"

"... okay, fair point. But it does sound like you've been in my shoes before."

"If I said yes, how would you respond?"

"..."

"I'm going to be upfront. Adults do still tell tall tales and little white lies for various reasons. Not always for good, not always for bad. It's... complicated."

"That sounds weird."

"Oh it is."

"I'm surprised you're even telling me all this. Aren't you supposed to be a teacher?"

"I am. I just happen to take my work a little more seriously."

"Please tell me you're not going to lecture me..."

"You'll be happy to know I don't do lectures, then. I find other techniques more engaging."

"Lectures are the worst."

"They don't get any less boring at my age."

"Hahaha... I just don't want a repeat of Dupont ever again... or Germany, for that matter."

"What happened in Germany?"

"Pretty much the same thing, except this one tried to strangle me in front of my own mother. Good thing she had that heavy book nearby."

"I—I see... you're certain you don't want to see a therapist about that?"

"I don't need to get picked apart again, thank you very much."

"Alright."

"... Mr. Oropeza, what happened to your arm?"

"... that's a story for another time."

"Alright. Well, thank you for your time. Good night."

"Good night."