Drinking Poison, Pt. 1

Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

— Carrie Fisher

***

The final stages of Alya's downward spiral are set in motion.

***

Earlier that day...

The Césaire household was quiet, a stark contrast to the usual warmth and activity. The inside was stripped bare of any color, lacking the life that once populated the apartment. Once upon a time, it had been the hub for nurturing friendships and relationships. Sleepovers and play dates. Now it was a shell of its former self. As of tomorrow, it would no longer be occupied by the family that had lived there. A fate one resident couldn't stop. But there was something she could do.

Alya flipped through the notes that Johanna had prepared for her, eyes poring over every detail. Again and again, she went over the plan they had formed for today. A plan for dealing with what could only be described as an indescribable evil. It wasn't enough she had to suffer through Chloé and Lila. Now she had to deal with someone else who was arguably even worse. Well, after she was done with them, Ladybug would have no choice but to acknowledge her worth as the Fox Holder. Gathering everything into a manila folder she had prepared, she tucked it under her arm and crept to her door.

She peeked out her room, carefully surveying the common area. Just about half an hour ago, her parents had left for that final meeting with the Dupain-Cheng's lawyers. Something about deciding her last punishment or whatever. Alya didn't care to hear. She knew, once she was done today, she would finally strike a blow against the greatest evil she had ever faced. Hopefully, by then, Marinette would realize what a mistake it was to leave them.

No, she knew Marinette would realize her mistake. She just had to after all the evidence she had compiled. And wow, there was a lot. If Alya wasn't convinced Amaia was worse than Chloé and Lila combined, this was more than enough to prove it. Johanna was a huge pain in the ass, but Alya had to give credit where it was due. She knew how to find information on these people who had no business being in the city. And wow, she had to laugh.

Mr. Oropeza was a no-good delinquent who had no business teaching a class.

Andres was a fake and an impostor.

Mireya was a legitimate serial killer who destroyed reputations for the fun of it.

And Amaia Collins, the worst of the lot, had disowned and humiliated her own mother after not getting her way. With this entire "family" around fooling everyone, there was no way Alya could even dream of getting close to Lila. To make her pay for tearing their class apart. So loathe as she was to admit it, she had to change tactics. She couldn't face these monsters head-on. Summoning the stealth of the Fox that was rightfully hers, she crept out of her room and closed the door.

Nora was taking a nap in the middle of the living room. Her snores filled the silence of the apartment. Likewise, Ella and Etta were enjoying their last day in Paris sleeping in. Their parents had cleaned out the last of their decorations, packed neatly in boxes for the last truck. Try as she might, Alya couldn't convince her stubborn parents to rethink their decision to move. So it was time to take matters into her own hands.

Quietly and carefully, to avoid waking up Nora and the twins, Alya sneaked through the living room and to the door leading outside. She was careful to avoid making too much noise while opening and closing the door. And once she was outside, she breathed a sigh of relief. The files she had prepared were ready. All she had to do now was find someone who would believe her.