Next Arc Preview: Understood Backwards

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

— Søren Kierkegaard

***

Ms. Mendeleiev pays Ms. Bustier a visit.

***

Disclaimer: Despite the amount of research Rafe and I have done to try and understand the French prison system, we took our best educated guesses to portray this scene. As we've said before, we are Americans with little to no way to actually experience this for ourselves, so we're doing the best we can with what we have. All that said, thank you and enjoy.

***

            Marie stared at the calendar in her room. Watching, calculating. Crossing out all the days until this one, in particular, had arrived. It was admittedly something she didn't want to do. But, given the circumstances, it had to be done. One way or another. A lot had changed recently. From Dupont's restructuring to students leaving. There was a sense of doom hanging over everyone's heads. Doom, and finality. Some had packed their things and left. Others stayed with obstinate resolve trying to rebuild and make the most of it. Was she aware of all the changes going on in the city? Marie didn't know. And, as her fellow teacher, she felt it was her duty to bring her up to speed if she wasn't. Sighing, and fetching her keys, Marie left her home and started her car. She had someplace to be today.

The early morning still had a slight chill in the air. From both the lingering winter weather and what had transpired these past couple of months. At first glance, the City of Love was peaceful. Tranquil. Masterfully masking the turmoil that had taken place underneath its serene appearance. But Marie and others knew it was far from the picturesque postcard city Mayor Bourgeois wanted it to be. No. So long as Hawk Moth was around, no one would know peace. Sure, Ladybug and her team did their damned best to make sure everyone was safe from him. But everyone could sense it was only a matter of time before one side completely imploded. Like everyone else in Paris, Marie hoped it was Hawk Moth who cracked first.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl when Marie finally reached the appointed location. She showed the guard on duty her ID and visitation permit, the guard followed protocol, then she was allowed in. She forgot what she stared at for so long while in the waiting room. But soon, another on-duty guard called for everyone to follow him to the visiting room. Marie stood and went with the others who came. Every step felt like she was walking on icicles and eggshells. Given who she was going to see today, it felt like an apt description. The guard ushered everyone inside, then sent them toward their assigned places for today's visit. Then the guard disappeared behind a door Marie and the others didn't see. And they waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Soon, the guard brought out the prisoners from their cells to the visiting room. One by one, under the guard's supervision, the prisoners sat with their loved ones and began to chat. Marie waited, her fingers drumming on the table, for the one she would be seeing today. And soon enough, a woman with teal eyes and auburn hair was brought out.

Marie tried not to look surprised at how ragged her former co-worker looked. Caline's eyes sported dark circles underneath. Her hair, which was normally neat and tidy, had stray strands sticking out at odd angles. Her face, once bright and full of smiles, now looked abnormally pale. Which, in turn, made her look quite sickly. All in all, Caline looked like she had seen better days. For a moment, Marie was tempted to feel sorry for what her former co-worker was going through. Then she reminded herself of what happened that led to this. As much as she wanted to pity the other woman, Marie knew better.