Whoever Fights Monsters

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

— Friedrich Nietzsche

***

The confrontation in the park ends poorly for everyone.

***

Content Warning: The following chapter contains a fight scene between teenagers that draws a lot of blood and may be disturbing to some readers. If you are squeamish or are easily spooked, skip ahead to the next scene. You have been warned.

***

             It happened so suddenly, Marinette remembered. It sprang on them so fast that barely anyone had time to react. One moment, they were laughing at the results of one of Rachele's spontaneous pranks that gave Nino a heart attack. The next, someone began screaming bloody murder and charged toward them. Only to be stopped not even midway by someone Marinette had barely even met. But once the danger registered in everyone's minds, chaos erupted.

"Everyone down!" Thérèse barked. At once, like a colony of ants being disrupted by a sudden rain, the theater club scrambled to get down and cover themselves. Marinette was pulled toward the table by Luka and Tikki — Eva, she reminded herself — where they were safely hidden by the tarp.

Marinette's hands flew to her head while she ducked. Her breath was uneven, labored. Her heart pounded wildly while questions swarmed her mind. What was going on? Who was it? Why did someone suddenly start screaming? Who stopped them? The screaming was still piercing everyone's ears while they ducked behind and under the tables. On instinct, Marinette touched the lobes of her ears to find the Earrings. Panic rose, then fell when she glanced at Eva's ears. Breathing a small sigh of relief, Marinette quickly glanced at the others who were taking cover.

Nino had huddled with Rachele, who had pulled the tarp over his head to better protect him. She grabbed a nearby prop — a rod they used to represent spears — for self-defense, ready to jump up and strike if need be. Marc and Nathaniel were both hiding under the table with Lila, who were all being protected by Ben. Chloé took cover with Marinette, Luka, and Eva. Barking orders on the phone all the while. Marinette dared to look up. And felt her heart split in two.

"Alya?..." she whispered in horror. Eva pulled her close, stroking her hair and whispering small words of comfort in her ear. Luka tightly gripped the leg of the table, enough that his knuckles were turning white. He swore under his breath, a sentiment shared by Nathaniel once they saw who had gone ape on them.

Tobias — that was his name, now that Marinette remembered — was restraining Alya with a well-executed choke hold. Alya thrashed violently, screaming obscenities at him and demanding to let her go. Tobias wasn't shaken. Neither was he the least bit intimidated by the raging bull in his grasp. Thérèse had dialed 1-1-2 on her phone and was cursing under her breath at the length of the wait. Without warning, Alya raised an elbow and, with malicious intent clear, struck Tobias in the ribs. Thérèse shrieked in horror, hands flying to her mouth while her phone fell to the ground. There was still no responder answering.

Alya struck him. Once more. Twice more. Until a sickening crack! sounded off and he finally couldn't take it anymore. He released his hold on her, falling to the ground while clutching his stomach. Thérèse screamed Tobias's name and tried to lunge forward. But the stronger members of the theater club held her back. Marinette felt her heart shattering for Thérèse hearing the pained sobs escaping her throat. But there was no time. Alya screamed again, arms forward and aiming for Lila.