My Lovely Moon

Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly.

— Khaled Hosseini

***

Marinette and Tikki encounter an age-old friend.

***

            Amber eyes that resembled molten gold gazed into the eyes of the human observing it. Two pairs of vibrant blue eyes stared back. One with shock, the other indescribable. On instinct, sensing the power of the wolf, the alarmed Ladybug Holder scooted back. Barely holding onto the railing that surrounded her bed. Marinette felt her heart stop. Her palms were coated in cold sweat. Beads of perspiration rolled down her forehead. It felt like she couldn't even speak. And beside her, Tikki's tiny body shivered violently in fear. The wolf's tail flicked, not caring that the tip of it brushed against Marinette's ghost white face. Any persuasion not to eat her would be lost. It wouldn't understand a word she was saying.

Ah, Marinette thought. So this is how I'm going to die. Not to an akuma. Not to Hawk Moth. Not to Chloé. Not even to Chat Noir. She was going to be gobbled up by a wolf in her own bedroom, in her own house. With no one to come for help should she call. She was quite certain the wolf would have eaten her even without the provocation. Then it would eat Tikki as an appetizer. Violent and horrifying images flashed through her mind in rapid succession. Each one more gruesome than the last.

This was it.

This was the end.

She was going to die and no one would be around to remember her by.

Well, she had a good life. It was time to say goodbye. Goodbye, Master Fu. Goodbye, Maman and Papa. Goodbye, Luka. Goodbye, Miss Diamandis. Goodbye, her new class at St. Catherine's. It had been a good life. And now, she was going to—

"Starlight!" Tikki suddenly cheered. Excitement rolled off her in waves. Marinette's eyes darted to her oddly happy Kwami.

"What?" the Ladybug Holder asked. Tikki didn't hear her. Or rather, she ignored her confusion. The Ladybug Kwami flew to the wolf, peppering its forehead with kisses. The wolf simply... accepted it. Ears folding back, eyes closed in content. Marinette swore she saw a smile on the wolf's face. Its entire body relaxed. Its tail swished in content. Its front paws lay lopsided on top of one another. What the... what the heck was going on?

"Oh my gosh! You've grown so much!" Tikki chirped, inspecting the wolf. Like a mother inspecting her child for something, Tikki held the wolf's snout and looked side to side. She giggled upon seeing nothing and hugged the wolf. The wolf in turn nuzzled the tiny Kwami, licking her head in greeting.

"How have you been?" Tikki asked, settling down on the rail. "Has Moonlight had her pups yet? It's a little out of season, isn't it? I hope Amaruq isn't too worried." She looked up at the wolf. "What about your mate? How is he doing?"

Marinette stared, dumbfounded. Because what?! Tikki knew the wolf? And the wolf knew Tikki? How. What. What was going on? Tikki turned to her Holder, a wide smile on her face. Floating up to Marinette's eye level, she hovered between her and the wolf. Paws folded behind her back. Her joy was immeasurable somehow.

"Marinette," Tikki said. That megawatt smile did not leave her face one bit. "I would like you to meet Starlight." She gestured to the white wolf. "She is the eldest daughter of the Pack. And its second-in-command." Marinette blinked, processing this information. "Though I wonder how she got in knowing you didn't invite any werewolves recently." She gave the wolf, Starlight, a reprimanding look that reminded Marinette of her mother when she got caught doing something she wasn't supposed to. To Starlight's credit, she at least recognized it and looked appropriately ashamed.