Your History, Your Destiny

Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.

— Steve Maraboli

***

Mireya checks on some loose ends throughout Paris.

***

            Cyprian stayed around at Mireya's request. Esai needed to be out of his cage today for exercise while she did her route around Paris. Surprisingly, despite his noticeable dislike of birds, he agreed to it. But then again, he never had a problem with domestic birds. It was the wild ones he utterly loathed. Maybe it had something to do with their tendency to ruin his lovely trees? Mireya giggled, thinking about how best to annoy him with this question when she got back. Leaving the townhouse apartment, she locked the door behind her.

"Took you long enough," a voice said behind her. Mireya chuckled, turning to face the Wind Fae who had spoken. In his normal form, he'd be invisible to mortal eyes. But the young man before her, radiating wind magic, had an unkempt appeal about him. Then again, Levante was nowhere near as fussy about his appearance as Cyprian and Mireya.

"Back already, Levante?" she teased. "Goodness, I didn't realize you were so eager." The ventolín rolled his eyes.

"Let me guess. Cy's here?" Levante asked. Mireya chuckled.

"He is," she said, making sure the door was locked. "It's his turn to look after Esai today." Levante made a disgusted face when he thought she wasn't looking. "Oh, come on now. You love birds."

"Yours gives me the creeps," Levante fired. "Domestic birds..." Mireya tutted, wagging a finger in his face.

"You know as well as I do he can't be released into the wild the way he is," she scolded. "His wings are injured and he is too habituated to people." She held her arms akimbo. "Didn't that old sailor teach you better?" Levante opened and closed his hand in a mockery of a speaking mouth.

"Yes, yes, I know," he said. He checked their surroundings with his winds. "I sense a bad breeze around here. Did Cy tell you?"

"He did," Mireya said, stepping away from the door. "I still find it surprising."

"You and me both," Levante said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "You'd think, knowing the Father Wolf is in town, he'd back off." Mireya slung her purse over her shoulder. "But he isn't." Mireya touched her chin. "What do you think is going on?"

"... I don't know," Mireya admitted. "All I know is what the Pack has relayed to me. They find it as odd as we do." Levante paused, taking in the severity of her words.

"... that doesn't bode well for the Miraculous Holders here," he said. "Not Hawk Moth, not Ladybug." He shot Mireya a concerned glance. "Not even your wolf pup."

"... I know."

Mireya didn't show it, but she was worried. The more she heard of the hostile werewolf being in Paris, the more she was concerned. What was his purpose? What was he here for? Did he want revenge? Everyone knew as well as he did the Father Wolf would outright kill him if he so much as laid another hand on them. So what was going on?

"You don't... suppose?..." Mireya started but trailed off. Levante raised an eyebrow, wondering what had his verbally gifted friend at a loss for words. Until they heard an argument rising inside the bakery next door. Looking into the window, they could see Mr. Dupain and Mrs. Cheng arguing with a very familiar customer. Said customer was looking quite ragged, desperately pleading with them about something they didn't fully catch. That was, until they rounded the corner and entered the bakery themselves. Levante covered his ears from how loud the customer was screaming.