Castles in the Air

I am longing to be with you, and by the sea, where we can talk together freely and build our castles in the air.

— Bram Stoker

***

Adrien sets in motion his downfall as Chat Noir.

***

            Ladybug's wide eyes stared in surprise and shock at the sudden action. Chat Noir's eyes, in turn, burned with rage she had never before seen from him. His grip felt like someone had put her arm in a vise-like clamp. She was certain even with the suit on she was going to be seeing bruises later. Her breath caught in her throat. Her feet felt like they were glued to the roof. A cold sweat coated her brow. The chill of the autumn night air stung her face. Before them, three new heroes from another Order stood. Watching. Waiting. And if Chat Noir was more observant, he would have seen the Wolf Hero crouching low. Ready.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Chat Noir snarled. His grip on her arm tightened, cutting off circulation. "I thought we were supposed to be a team! Then you go and do this!" Ladybug felt her breath catching in her throat. She tried to jerk her arm out of his grip, but he was faster. "What am I to you?! Just a speck of dirt on the road?!" Ladybug stepped back but slipped, falling to her knees on the rooftop. "You're supposed to—!!"

BAM!!!

Faster than either Chat Noir or Ladybug could react, a fist clad in white made contact with the Black Cat Holder's face. Sending him flying at an inhuman speed toward a nearby structure.

WHAM!! CRACK!!! WHOOSH!!

Pale hands wrapped around Ladybug's shoulders during the confusion. Accompanied by a flurry of stray black feathers. Walnut brown hair fell in gentle waves down their back. Accompanied by an all-too-familiar antique dress. Ladybug's wide eyes froze seeing the doll-like face of the fairy who accompanied them. Her throat going dry, she tried to squeak out a sound. But the fairy held up a slender finger to her red lips. A motion to stay silent. Two figures whooshed past them, past the lone hero clad in white standing before the stunned Black Cat Holder peeling from the impact the punch had left behind. Then, with nary a trace, they disappeared.

Chat Noir stumbled and swayed upon landing, the coursing fury and indignant rage barely held him upright. His green eyes glared, seemingly glowing in the dark at their target. In the glow of the moon, the white figure stood. Amber eyes bored holes through Chat Noir's. Still and silent. Eyes roaming up and down, the Black Cat Holder scoffed.

"What's the matter?" he sneered. "Cat got your tongue?" The Wolf Holder said nothing. Did nothing. Just stood and stared. With no other reaction. Chat Noir scowled. "Hmph. It's not like you're going to last long, anyway." He twirled his baton. "After I'm through with you, you're gonna wish you never showed up in Paris." His hand flexed. Claws poking in and out. He regarded the Wolf with the utmost contempt.

And he launched himself.

"Rrraaagggh!!"

BAM!!!

The Wolf smacked him with the strength and motion of someone swatting a fly. And yet it sent Chat Noir hurtling into the air until he crashed face-first into a chimney. Ladybug gasped. Hand hovering over her mouth. Chat Noir spat and sputtered. Glaring and snarling, he rushed toward the Wolf again.

BAM!!

The Wolf punched down, abruptly ending Chat Noir's charge.