Misery Made Me a Fiend, Pt. 1

I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous.

— Mary Shelley

***

Bustier's former students struggle with the changes that have affected their lives.

***

            A heavy atmosphere hung over the public library in one particular corner. All-consuming of the sole inhabitant glumly putting away books on order of the librarian. One by one, titles traveled from the cart to the bookshelf. A relatively light punishment considering how heavily the judge punished the rest. But the shattering realization compounded by the great burden of knowing what she had done had turned her rose-tinted view of the world into jade. Not once did she ever think she would see the world in such a way when their wonderful teacher did so much for them.

But now... it was difficult to go back to how it once was.

With these thoughts in mind, Rose put away the books as part of her community service task for today. Then, once the last title had been put on the correct shelf, she checked in with the librarian and completed her day. Abnormally for the sugary sweet and perky girl, her shoulders slumped forward in an uncharacteristically gloomy manner. Her blue eyes that once shone with vibrant life were now dull. Lifeless. And guilty. Her short blonde hair, once glossy and lustrous, was matted thanks to lack of care.

In short, she looked like a mess. And she felt like one, too.

Sniff...

Rose made her way from the library to a bench near the street. How far away it was, she didn't know nor did she care. The cooling air stung her eyes like picks digging into mile-deep ice. But she didn't care. This time of the year, it was usually her, her friends, Juleka, and their teacher getting ready to celebrate Christmas. Marinette would bring treats, hot cocoa, and whatever else she had made for them. Once upon a time, Rose thought it was the sweetest thing Marinette had done for them.

Then Lila came to their class.

At first, it had been so amazing. Lila wove amazing and enthralling tales of adventure and charity, propping herself up to look like a good person. And for a while, Rose wanted to believe she was wanting to make friends with them. Then the lies started and everything gradually fell apart. Suddenly, Marinette was no longer the kind girl they thought she was. Suddenly, Lila seemed like a better friend than the flake that used to be their everyday Ladybug. And suddenly, Lila wanted nothing to do with them. All the promises she made to them now felt hollow.

Except... no such promises were being made to them. Lila never told them she would get in touch with Prince Ali for her. Lila never told them she would help organize charities to get Ivan and Mylène's names out there. Lila also never told them she would secure sports sponsorships for Kim and Alix. And lastly, while Lila spun tales about Marinette threatening and bullying her, she never once told them to do anything to her.

It was all on them.

Sniff... hic...

Rose's eyes watered at the realization the first time around. And they did again and again. Every time, it was worse. The mean things she said to Marinette came back to haunt her, ringing in her head like ghosts speaking nasty words into her ears. Those same words she said to Marinette now sounded more accurate when describing herself. An ugly pit in her stomach made itself known yet again. Sniffling, she buried her face in her hands. Tears leaked out at a snail's pace, stinging her cheek in the frigid near-winter air.