The Stars Walk Backward

Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward.

— E. E. Cummings

***

Marinette wrestles with several tough decisions as Ladybug.

***

            Luka was waiting outside the massage shop at the agreed-upon time, much to Marinette's relief. The planning with Master Fu, as "fun" as it was, involved figuring out the best time to meet the Iberian Order of the Miraculous and what to do with the Tibetan Miracle Box. As involved in the Hawk Moth situation as he was, Fu was getting old and would need to find a worthy successor sometime soon. Was it selfish of Marinette to hope she wouldn't be named the next Guardian of the Tibetan Miracle Box? Master Fu deserved someone who was a worthier successor than her, after all.

"Hey, Luka," Marinette greeted with a smile. Luka looked up, returning her smile.

"Hey, Melody," he greeted in turn. The motorcycle he had saved up for and finally bought was parked on the curb. Complete with blue-green highlights on the paint job. The style was definitely Luka, but Marinette had an inkling on who gave him the advice if the Harley Davidson logo was any indicator. Luka finished sanitizing his helmet before handing the spare one to Marinette. Once she was securely in place on the bike behind him, they took off. Unaware of a black car parked in front of the massage shop after they had left.

"How'd it go?" Luka asked. The lights of Paris flew by them in a beautiful mosaic of oranges, whites, and yellows. All illuminating the buildings of different shops and homes. The Eiffel Tower in the far back glowed a gorgeous gold with the myriad of street lights on the ground floor.

"Went well enough," Marinette answered. "There was... a lot of stuff I didn't know." Luka stopped at a red light. The street around them was empty of any other vehicles. "Some of it I wish I still didn't know." Like the fact other magical beings walked the earth with them. All hiding in plain sight. "Some I'm glad I now know." Like who had helped them in their time of need. She had to find some way to thank whoever the Iberian Order had sent.

After some time, the light at the stop turned green, permitting them to pass through on their way. The late November air was crisp and cool. A welcome relief from the heat earlier in the school year. Akuma after akuma. Fight after fight. Confrontation after confrontation. To think, it all came to a head when she allowed a private trial. But as stressful as it was, it was also a turning point in her life. No longer was she at the mercy of the rabid beasts she once called her friends. No longer was she left to hang by useless teachers and equally useless crushes. No longer was she attracting akumas from a domestic terrorist taking advantage of people's bad days. For now, anyway. Knowing that fairies, of all things, were behind the decline of akumatizations left a strange taste in her mouth. But it wasn't unwelcome.

If anything, it felt like she, and Paris as a whole, were finally allowed to breathe again.

"I also..." Marinette continued. "Have to make some tough calls later." She squeezed Luka's torso a bit. He kept his eyes on the road, though there was visible concern behind the visor.

"What's that?" he asked. Marinette sighed.

"I... have to tell some people I trusted I don't want them in my life anymore..." she continued. Half of it was true. She didn't want Alya or Nino, or anyone from her class besides Juleka, Nathaniel, and Marc, anywhere near her. It hurt. It hurt a lot because she once trusted them. Even bestowed Miraculouses upon them as Ladybug. But the illusion that Lila had cast upon them revealed their true colors. As loathe as she was to admit it, perhaps it had been a blessing in disguise.