Step on My Heart

He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It's his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.

— Markus Zusak

***

Kagami discovers the extent of the damage upon her return to Paris.

***

            "Yes, mother, I understand," Kagami said on the phone.

"Good," her mother said on the other end. "The sooner we get this inconvenience taken care of, the better."

"Yes, mother," Kagami said. Once she was satisfied with finalizing today's plans, her mother ended the call. If there was one thing Kagami always hated about traveling to other countries, it was the occasional legal snag. Annoying little things that popped up unexpectedly and were different every single time. Be it renewing a passport, correcting mistakes in the paperwork, tackling hidden fees, or even just plain stupidity. Kagami never liked having to go to the courthouse to fix what should have been an easy task. Nonetheless, there she was in Tatsu on her way to see who botched what simple job this time. If only her mother didn't have to stay in their Paris home today for whatever mess cropped up while they were gone.

Either way, Kagami wasn't looking forward to it.

Sigh...

"Who messed up this time..." Kagami whispered to herself, pinching the bridge of her nose. It couldn't have been the passports. Her mother was always exceedingly strict about keeping them updated. For which, given how far and how much they've traveled, Kagami was grateful. It couldn't have been hidden fees. They had more than enough money to handle whatever fees the greedy moneylenders threw at them. Was it the paperwork, then? That was Kagami's only clue about something being wrong.

... augh! This was such a headache.

"Hrm..."

The sooner they took care of this, the—

"Hm?"

A familiar car passed by Tatsu. Driven by Mr. Agreste's personal assistant with the behemoth of a man nowhere to be seen. She only caught a glimpse of Mr. Agreste himself (outside?) and Adrien in the back seat. Neither were talking, but Mr. Agreste had the angriest expression she had ever seen on the man. Adrien himself wore a clueless expression, as though he had no idea what was going on. Looking forward again, Kagami scanned the area to determine where they were and from where the Agreste car came.

It... was coming from the courthouse...

"..."

Silent but anxious, Kagami folded her hands in front of her and waited until Tatsu parked beside the courthouse. Exiting the car, she hurried across the sidewalk to the front. There was an abnormal number of cars parked outside today. Did something happen? If so, how was Adrien connected to it? Why were there police cruisers in the front? Why were—

Kagami stopped in her tracks the minute she rounded the corner to the front. And she swore she felt her jaw shatter against the asphalt. A large crowd of familiar people was making a ruckus outside while three police officers were taking a trio of familiar faces to the cruisers. From what Adrien had shown a time or two, she recognized them as Kim, Alix, and Alya. What... what was going on? Why were they being arrested? Why was the entirety of Bustier's class wailing as though their lives were ending? Why was Miss Bustier being led away to another cruiser in handcuffs?