Her Secret Sorrows

Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.

— Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

***

Marc discovers the extent of Chloé's agony.

***

             The limousine sped down the roads to the Place des Vosges, uncaring of how many road safety violations it committed and uncaring of how many cars it scratched. Save for the empty vehicles lining the quiet streets, the entire arrondissement was devoid of people. All of them had gathered around the gigantic pink maze that had taken over the Place des Vosges. With the maze so easily visible from this far of a distance, he had to admit it was quite apocalyptic. Something straight out of a disaster movie from Bob Roth or someone else's equally disturbed brain.

But none of that was important right now.

"Can't this thing go any faster?!" André Bourgeois bellowed at his chauffeur. The butler trembled, not just from the volume of the normally meek hotelier.

"I-I'm trying, sir," the chauffeur replied. "But-but there are so many cars and—"

"Just step on the gas," André bellowed again. His voice was laced to the brim with panic. "We have to get there! Now!"

"Y-y-y-yessir!"

The chauffeur stomped on the gas pedal, his ears ringing with the peals the tires made on the road. Black streaks were left in the limousine's wake, the passenger unconcerned with how much he would have to pay to keep the street cleaners quiet. They weren't important. No one was important. They didn't matter. What did was a certain young lady he had spent most of his life loving and raising. Protecting her from everything his power, influence, and wealth could. Except for whatever monster Hawk Moth had unleashed. He swore he would use the full extent of his power to punish those who dared to harm her under his watch.

He would start with the akuma they unleashed today.

"Out of my way! Out of my way!"

André didn't bother with his usual simpering niceties when the limousine squealed into an empty lot. Ignoring the shouts and warnings from his chauffeur, André threw the car door open and ran. Past the clamoring people gathered around the labyrinth, past the armed and armored officers ordering him to stay back. His eyes were laser-focused on the pink labyrinth that held his daughter hostage. No matter what, he would save her.

He had to.

Grabbing a megaphone from a nearby reporter (those certainly came in handy at the right time), he pointed it at a passing monster.

"You there!" André shouted into the megaphone. The tall thing stopped, staring at him with all its bluebell eyes popping out of the rosebuds. "Yes, you!" He pointed at it. "I demand you stop right there!" He shoved off someone trying to get his attention.

"Mayor Bourgeois!" he heard Officer Raincomprix hiss. "What are you doing?!"

"What's it look like?!" André barked back. He turned his attention to the tall guardian eying him with curiosity. "I demand you release my daughter immediately!" All around him, the people watching whispered to each other. The fear and panic coursing through him fought tooth and nail to ignore the stares and the whispering. He had a more pressing matter to attend to.