Chapter 18

My phone was vibrating in my hand as I stared blankly down at the caller ID. I didn't answer it, although I didn't hang up. I didn't know what to do. Before I could decide whether to answer it or not, the phone stopped vibrating in my hands and my notifications showed me one missed call. I sighed and was about to start playing temple run again, when my phone was vibrating again, the same person calling me. I decided I should answer it, what harm could be done? I pressed the accept button and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked shakily, although I already knew who was on the other end.

"Steph! Oh my gosh I miss you so much!" A high-pitched squeal came from the other end of the phone.

"Its been a while, Brittany." Was all I said in return.

"So anyway, how are you?" She asked, although she sounded as if she really didn't care how I was.

"What do you want?" I asked, trying to sound intimidating.

"Is it true you're adopted by One Direction?" She asked, cutting straight to the point.

"H-how did you know?" 

"There were pictures of Niall holding a girl and Harry pulled her hood up, but there is a picture that shows your face."

"What?!" I almost yelled.

"Yeah, and I thought it looked like you, then I remembered you said you had five brothers and their ages and shit so I looked it up, turns out its a perfect match." I could practically feel her smirking through the phone.

"Fine, yes they adopted me. Why do you care?"

"Because you're a pathetic slut who is just using them." She stated.

"Just leave me alone Brittany." I mumbled.

"Aww, still upset about Austin?" She taunted.

"What's your problem?" I snapped, "I was always nice to you, I never did anything wrong. Me and Austin were so happy together, why did you have to go and ruin it?!" By now tears were slowly rolling down my cheeks.

"You think everyone loves you, well guess what Steph, everyone hates you! No one likes you. Austin never did and he never will. One Direction is only using you as a charity case." 

"N-no they're not! They love me and I love them. I s-still love Austin and I know he l-loved me too." I cried as tears continued to pour out of my eyes.

"Stop acting so pathetic, you know its the truth! Just go die bitch." She spat before hanging up the phone.

I cried into my hands as realisation hit me. The boys were just using me for more fame, I really was their charity case. But what about the time I ran away, if they didn't care then why did they come after me? Why did they go to all the trouble of getting me a therapist and helping me when I was depressed? All these thoughts were swimming around in my head as the door of the dressing room flung open. The boys walked in all talking and laughing amongst each other, although their faces instantly fell when they saw the state I was in.

"What happened cupcake?" Louis asked me, pulling me into a big bear hug. I was crying so hard I couldn't answer him, instead I just stood there, crying helplessly into his chest as his big arms offered me the feeling of safety and love. 

"Shh, its okay baby, shh, don't cry." He cooed, trying to calm me down. Eventually I had calmed down a bit, but I still had tears streaming down my face.

"What happened princess?" Harry asked me softly as Louis pulled away from our hug.

"D-did you just a-adopt me f-for charity?" I asked them quietly, my voice quavering and cracking as I spoke.