Chapter 35

I gripped Louis' hand tightly as we continued to walk towards the entrance of the police station. When we got inside Paul immediately rushed towards us, dragging us along various corridors until we reached our destination. We were standing outside a big steel door, with a notice that read in bold writing:

"No entry unless with a member or staff"

This freaked me out, making me clutch onto Louis even tighter. Liam, whose hand was still resting on my back, felt me tense and began to rub soothing circles on my back.

"Are you ready?" Paul asked me gently, and I nodded in reply.

Paul turned the door handle and opened the door. Inside the room was completely different to what I had expected. The room was divided in half by a long wall of glass, our side having a big desk scattered with computers and cables, and the other side containing white walls and nothing else, although I could spy a door on the other side of the glass, probably so people could get in and out.

"Steph, this is Detective Pitt and Cheif Constable Grey, they are the ones who tracked down the caller." Paul told me.

Both the police men stuck their hands it to me and I shook them hesitantly. Paul introduced the other boys to them, and they all shook hands as well, before Detective Pitt told us what would be happening.

"So, the suspect will enter on the other side of the glass, and all you have to do is tell us whether you think she is your mother or not. Don't worry though, on her side of the glass it is a mirror and she can't see past it, so she won't know you're here." The detective explained.

I nodded in response, and Chief Constable Grey spoke into his walkie talkie, asking for the suspect to be brought through. I clutched onto Zayn's arm, him being the closest, and squeezed my eyes shut. Zayn kissed the top of my head and embraced me in a hug, one I desperately needed.

"Are you ready to look babe?" Zayn murmured in my ear.

I nodded slowly and he pulled away from our hug. I peeled opened my eyes and saw a middle aged woman standing on the other side of the glass. Her wrinkles were clearly defined, her eyes were now green and her hair was shorter, messier, and blonde, but I knew right away.

It was her.

It was my mother, who was supposed to have died 10 years ago. Yet she was standing right in front of me.

I turned to the policemen and nodded my head, signalling it was her. I then looked to the floor, sniffling quietly, trying to keep back my tears. Zayn wrapped me into another hug, holding me tightly as I tried not to cry. I could hear everyone talking and moving around me, but I blocked it all out, clutching onto Zayn as if my life depended on it. I squeezed my eyes shut, my mind screaming for it all to be a dream. Zayn picked me up and sat me on his hip, beginning to walk somewhere, however, I kept my eyes tightly shut, not wanting to face reality. After a short walk, Zayn sat down, sitting me on his lap. I pulled my knees up to my chest and buried my head in them, whimpering quietly.

"Look at me baby." Louis said softly, but I shook my head, refusing to look at them.

"Come on angel, look at us." Liam tried to goad.

I continued to shake my head and began to cry, trying to be quiet, although the sobs racked through my body. I felt Zayn wrap his arms around my shaking body and hold me tightly. I heard Paul call Louis and Liam, and then the door closed, me guessing they left with Paul. I slowly lifted my head from my knees and saw that Louis and Liam weren't in the room, and it was just Harry, Niall and Zayn. Looking around the room I saw it was plain, just a couple of sofas and chairs and a kitchen counter with a sink. It looked like a school staff room.