Chapter 50

I cried in pain and fear as Harry held me tightly on his hip, gently rocking back and forth to calm me down. Liam and Niall were running around packing bags and putting layers of clothing on me.

"Niall, go and get one of Louis' tops and his jumpers." Liam ordered, pulling ugg boots on my feet.

"Shh, calm down baby, everything will be alright I promise." Harry cooed as I gripped his tightly and kept on crying.

"Harry, take her to the car and get it started, we'll be down in a minute." Liam said, dashing out of the room.

Harry ran downstairs and grabbed his car keys from the bowl near the front door, before stepping out into the cold night. Goosebumps rose on my skin and the wind howled around the dark night sky. Harry unlocked the car and gently sat me in the back seat, clipping up my seat belt, before jumping in the front and starting the car, turning on the heating to warm us up.

Liam and Niall appeared a minute later, carrying four bags with them. Liam jumped in the back with me and Niall jumped in the front next to Harry. Harry quickly drove off, speeding along to the closest hospital.

"Stephy, listen to me baby. Everything is going to be okay. It may be a bit scary but the doctors will make you better and get rid of the pain. All of us will be with you the whole time I promise. We all love you very much, it'll all be okay." Liam said to me as I continued to cry.

He brushed away my tears and kissed the top of my head, more tears leaking out still.

Five minutes later we were at the hospital. Liam scooped me onto his hip and Niall and Harry took the bags. They all ran into the hospital, stopping at the front desk.

"Hi, my niece has an appendicitis." Liam told the lady at the desk.

"When did the pain start?" She asked, typing in the computer.

"A couple of days ago." He told her.

"Okay, follow me, we need to get someone to look at her immediately." She said, beckoning the boys to follow us.

We walked briskly along a few corridors until we reached the children's wing. She told someone there I had an appendicitis and a bed was soon wheeled in for me.

"Can you fill this out please?" A doctor asked the boys, and Harry took the clipboard.

Another doctor came over to me and began to ask me questions, although I mostly just cried the whole time, my tummy in excruciating pain and fear spearing through my body.

"Stephanie can you tell me on a scale of 1-10 how painful it is?" The doctor asked.

"10, really really bad." I cried, clutching my tummy.

"Can we please do something, she's in so much pain." Niall said impatiently.

The doctors asked me a few more questions and also attached a wrist band to my wrist with my name and date of birth. Five minutes later I was wheeled along again, many strange doctors and nurses running along side the bed with Niall, Liam and Harry trying to keep up. I gripped Liam's hand tightly, afraid to let go.

"I'm sorry only one of you is allowed through." A nurse told the boys as we reached two big metal doors.

"You go Liam, we'll see you later." Niall said, pushing Liam foreword.

"We love you baby." Harry called as I was wheeled away.

"N-no they s-stay." I cried.

"I'm sorry sweetie, shh, it'll be okay." Liam cooed.

We eventually reached an operating room, many weird devices and surgery instruments everywhere. My heart was racing as people ran around the room, pulling on operating outfits and washing their hands. A mask was placed over my mouth and a sickly sweet gas pumped through. I let out a scream and tried to push it away, although someone was holding it forcefully over my mouth and nose, there being no escape from the gas.

"Shh, baby it's alright, you're just going to go to sleep for a little bit alright? Calm down gorgeous, everything's okay." Liam cooed, stroking back my hair.

The gas overcame me and I was beginning to fall asleep. I tried to pry open my eyes, but the gas was stronger than me. I kept my eyes locked on Liam's as I slowly drifted into a deep sleep.

Liam's POV

"I'm sorry, we're going to have to ask you to leave now sir." A nurse said, guiding me out of the operating room.

"How long will it be?" I asked.

"We can never be sure but I reckon maybe thirty minutes to an hour." She told me, before ushering me out of the room.

I made my way back along the glaring white hallway to the waiting room where Niall and Harry were sitting together.

"Is she alright?" Niall asked as soon as I walked up to them.

"She'll be fine Nialler, they're operating on her now." I told him, sitting down next to him.

"I just feel so helpless." Niall sniffled, a few tears slipping out his eyes.

"Listen mate there's nothing you can do, the professionals are with her and she'll be better in no time." I said.

"I just feel awful." He sniffled.

"We all do bro." Harry sighed, patting his back.

"Should we call the others?" I asked, dreading telling Louis.

"Yeah I guess we should." Harry said.

"I'll do it." I volunteered, knowing Harry wouldn't be able to and Niall was in tears already.

I got up and walked over to the vending machine, slipping out my phone and dialling Louis' number. He picked up after the first few rings.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Hey mate." I said.

"Liam! How are you? Hows Steph? Can you put her on the phone? I miss her so much." He asked hopefully.

"Listen, Louis I'm really sorry-" I began.

"What's wrong? Is Steph okay? Where's my baby?" He panicked.

"Louis, she's fine, well kinda."

"What do you mean 'kinda'?"

"Listen, you know how she was feeling sick and had the tummy pains and we thought she was getting her period or something?"

"Yeah."

"Well it turns out she has an appendicitis."

"Wait, are you at hospital?"

"Yeah, we took her straight here and they're operating on her now." I told him.

"Shit, I need to get home, now." He stated.

"Louis, it's alright, don't come back, she'll be fine, just stay and enjoy your holiday."

"I'm not going to be able to relax if I know my baby is in hospital having an operating and I'm not even in the country." He snapped.

"I'm sorry, Lou, I am. Listen, just wait until the operation is over, then I'll give you a call and we'll work out what to do. Just don't do anything yet." I reasoned.

"How much longer is the operation?" He asked.

"Not that long, they said thirty minutes to an hour."

"Okay, but call me the second she is wheeled out of the operating room, you understand?"

"Yes, I promise to call."

"Okay, I'll go tell the others, I'll keep my phone on me all day." He said.

"Alright Lou, bye." I hung up.

I sighed and walked back to where the boys were sitting. I told them about what Louis had said and they agreed it was better to wait until Steph was out before Louis came home.

We waited around for another two and a half hours. No one had come to tell us if she was better or out of the operation, and we were panicking. After another hour a nurse finally called our names. We ran over to her desperately, anxious to know how our niece was going.

"Is she better?" Harry asked straight out.

"She's out of the operation, but there was a slight problem during the operation. You see her appendix actually burst as we were taking it out, meaning a lot of blood was lost and we needed to quickly stitch her up again. We managed to save a lot of blood and there was no infection which was good, but she did wake up during the operation. It was only for a minute or two, but with what we have been told about her past she would have been terrified and may be a bit shaken up when she wakes up. Everything is alright though and she is in a private room now asleep." The nurse told us.

"Thank you so much, are we allowed to see her?" Niall asked.

"Yes, follow me." The nurse beckoned, guiding us down many white walls to the children's wing.

*

Beep

My head pounded.

Beep

A horrible ache in my tummy.

Beep

Stiffness, confusion and fatigue.

"She'll be alright. After the drama we managed to stop the excess bleeding and stitch her back up. She'll be a bit out of it for the rest of the day but by tomorrow she should be alright, although I do think she might be quite shaken from this. The operation was challenging, but she made it and she will be absolutely fine." A strange voice said as people walked into the room.

"How long do you think she'll be asleep for?" A familiar voice asked.

"Not very long, she might even be able to hear us now." The voice chuckled.

"Thanks."

"I'll be back in twenty with some pain killers for her, you're welcome to stay but not too many people at once, I imagine she'll be quite distressed." The mystery person said before leaving.

I heard a chair scrape against the floor and someone sitting next to me. A kiss was planted on my forehead and a hand gently stroked my hair.

"You gave us quite the fright angel, but everything's okay now. We love you so much." The familiar voice said.

"Liam do you think she can hear you?" An unmistakable Irish accent asked.

"I hope so." Liam replied.

A sharp ache stabbed my tummy, making me whimper and squeeze my eyes shut.

"Shh, baby girl, open your eyes for us." Someone asked.

I forcefully peeled my eyes open, the light immediately blinding me. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried again, the light not so harsh this time. Eventually my eyes came into focus and I saw Niall, Liam and Harry smiling down at me.

"Hey cupcake." Harry smiled, taking my hand in his.

I whimpered and a stray year slipped out of my eye.

"Shh, you're alright sweetheart. It's all over now, everything is done." Liam told me.

"H-home?" I asked hopefully.

"Not yet I'm afraid gorgeous, but very soon I promise." Liam said.

I let out a small cry, Liam hushing me and Harry cooing softly to me. Niall stood near the end of the bed, pulling up a chair and resting his hand on my leg. I looked down at my hand, the one Harry wasn't holding, and saw an iv chord sticking out of it. I let out another cry when I saw that and Harry squeezed my free hand tightly.

"Shh, it's okay babe, you're alright." Harry cooed.

"C-cuddle?" I pleaded, wanting to be held tightly in their arms.

"We can't I'm sorry princess, don't worry though we're right by your side." Niall told me.

I began to cry properly then, despite the boys comforting words and soothing actions. I was scared, alone and in pain. I wanted nothing more than to be at home with all of the boys again as to go back to the way things were before; before Louis and Zayn left, before we went saw my mum and before we went to America. I just wanted my old life back.

A nurse came in soon and gave me an injection. She said it was to help with the pain but also would also send me to sleep within the hour. After the commotion of the injection, I was calmer, laying still in the bed, exhausted from the operation, the crying and the fight against the needle. The injection had cause me to calm down too, and my cries were barely audible anymore, although the tears still leaked down my face.

"Shh, don't cry baby girl, everything's okay." Liam cooed.

"I want Louis." I weeped softly.

"Shh, he sends his love, angel." Liam comforted.

"Harry, go and get the top and jumper from the bag." Niall said.

Harry walked over to a backpack and pulled out a top of Louis' and my favourite jumper of his. Harry gently slipped the top over my hospital gown, jostling the iv slightly as it went over my arms. He then pulled the jumper on my and zipped it up. I felt a lot better wearing Louis' clothes. I felt closer to him and more comforted.

"Better?" Niall asked,stroking back my hair.

"I want my dad, please, thats all I want." I cried.

"I'm sorry baby, your dad isn't here right now but he loves you so much and is very worried about you." Harry told me.

"I just want daddy." I mumbled, drowsiness over coming me.

"Shh, go to sleep angel." Liam cooed.

I soon drifted back into a deep sleep. Although the boys were right by my side the whole time, it wasn't the same without Louis, and all I wanted was him to come back for me.

***

Hey guys!

Sorry about not updating for a while, been so so busy!

So its my birthday today! Thats why i decided to give back to you guys and update!

The anount of reads and comments you guys have gotten me is amazing! and seriously i love all of you! you stand by my side through the crappiest chapters and i am so grateful for that!

I've been so busy and behind on everything at the moment, so i may need to take a small break from writing bu as soon as the new year starts again i'll be back on it i promise!

Love you all so much

Comment christmas if you liked this!

Bella x x x