Chapter 20

"My Lord, I want to tell you something." Severus said and the dark lord chuckled at him. Severus looked shocked and surprised at his behavior. He didn't know what's happening and he doesn't even have much time as he has to return back to James as soon as he can. 

"Lucius told me everything." The dark lord told him and Severus was even more surprised as Lucius didn't tell him about talking to the dark lord. "I can't say that I'm not angry, but it is not your fault for thinking of betraying me. You were not yourself and it would be not fair from my side if I punish you for that."

"My Lord, I-" "Just tell me one thing, Severus." The dark lord raised a hand to stop him and Severus nodded. "Are you still loyal to me or not?"

"I will always be loyal to you, My Lord. Even under the potions, I didn't want to work for Dumbledore." Severus said honestly and the dark lord nodded thinking about something for a while. 

"How is James?" The dark lord asked and Severus sighed out slowly. 

"He is scared." Severus said honestly. "Of me leaving him again."

"Understandable." The dark lord nodded again. 

"I have a request, My Lord." Severus said and the dark lord raised an eyebrow at him. The dark lord wants to be angry at the man sitting in front of him for what he did in the past years after he disappeared. Severus betrayed him and worked for Dumbledore. He worked as Dumbledore's spy the past year after he returned in the graveyard. Everything that was discussed in the death eater meetings has been informed to Dumbledore despite his warnings. 

Yet, here they are still talking normally and his wand inside his wand holster safely. His hands doesn't even itch to take it out and curse the hell out of the man sitting in front of him. If it were anyone else who did this and even if they were under potions and charms, he wouldn't be this lenient towards them. On top of that, Severus never told him about James before he disappeared in 1981. 

Severus kept it as a secret from him. Severus acted as if everything was fine and nothing was out of the ordinary during the death eater meetings, whenever they talked about removing every Dumbledore pawn from their way and mostly the Gryffindors. James was a Gryffindor and Severus should've reacted even a slightest bit whenever they discussed about killing the Gryffindors who are Dumbledore's favorites. But he didn't, which was surprising and suspicious too. 

"Before that, tell me one thing." The dark lord leaned forward and placed his hands on the table looking into Severus' eyes intently. "James Potter is loyal to..." He left the sentence hanging in the air waiting for Severus to finish it. 

"Me." Severus said without hesitation. "And our daughter." 

"Are you absolutely sure, Severus?" The dark lord asked him and Severus nodded confidently. The dark lord hummed. "What is your request?"

-

"Where is Severus?" James asked for nth time after Severus left. "Why isn't he back yet? What is taking him so long?" 

"Pa, it's just been 15 minutes. The goblin healer told you that it might take some time. He will be back soon. Don't worry." Julia said comfortingly. She didn't like seeing her pa so anxious and scared. All because of Dumbledore. He is the reason her family is like this.

"But-" James sighed frustrated and leaned back on the head board. "Why does it have to be him? Why can't the goblin come here to talk?"

"You can't say that, Uncle James." Draco chuckled from his other side. "We are in goblin territory, remember?"

"So?" James huffed crossing his arms over his chest. "I want my Sev back."

"Your Sev is back, Jamie." Severus said from the doorway and James sat up so fast that the two of them sitting beside him were worried about him. His eyes shone like diamonds as he looked at Severus.