Chapter 2 Stranger

I looked around there was no one around me. Nothing glowed, nothing stood out. Where did the voice come from? I scanned the snow and tree line. Nothing showed. I could feel my heart beat in my ears. I hoped the voice couldn't hear it."Who are you?" I mustered up all my courage. A shadowy figure jumped down from the tree above me. The figure landed a few centimeters away from me. I could feel his warm breath on the top of my head. Humans glowed depending on whether they are good or bad. If they glowed white they were good, if they glowed grey they were bad. He did not glow at all."Confused?"  he asked. "I could tell by the look on your face. What's wrong? Your gift isn't helping you with who I am?" I was so shocked I hadn't noticed. His name or even when he would die wasn't visible. All I could do was stare at the man. "W-who are you?" I asked. Fear was rising in my throat. My body trembled. Was this man going to kill me? I was paralyzed in fear."Don't worry I won't hurt you." The man smiled. I could see his sickening grin. He grabbed my phone out of my hand and shone the flashlight into his face. He had a pale face that was covered in piercings. His eyebrows, his lips, his nose, you name it he had it pierced. He had short black hair, with white streaks, that covered half of his face. He continued to smile at me. "Who are you?" I asked again. He just smiled at me. He wouldn't answer me. I pushed him out of the way. "If you won't answer, get out of my way." I was fed up with this. I had stuff I needed to do."Hey! Didn't your mother ever teach you manners, Yami?" The man asked as he grabbed my arm."How do you know my name?" I shrieked. "You're not the only one with some sort of gift." The man smiled. "Plus you need your phone back, don't you?" I just stared at him dumbfounded. He put my phone back in my hand. My eyes adjusted to the darkness."What do you mean?" I gulped. He lifted his hair covering one of his eyes. Now with both eyes visible, I could see one was grey the other was red. He was cute. In an emo, goth, sort of way."Mine is just a little different. Or should I say more powerful." The guy bosted. "I can see their names, ages, date of birth, date of death, and where they live.""But why can't I see your name?" I asked."Because I'm stronger." He smiled. "And because you want to know so badly, my name is Smoke.""I have to go. If I'm late my mom will kill me." I said remembering why I came here in the first place."I'll be here." Smoke smiled. I ran through the rest of the woods. Who was he? Will I ever see him again? I wondered as I ran. I collected all the things mom wanted me to get for her. I checked my phone 30 minutes had passed since I had left. I ran through the woods so I could get home fast enough. "Wow that was fast." My mom exclaimed. I forced a smile as I handed her the filled bag. She smiled as she walked away into the kitchen. I followed her. "If you're tired sweety you can go to sleep." I had realized how tired I was. I nooded and walked to my room. I layed down onto my bed. I stared at the ceiling. Tomorrow I had to go back to school. I hated school, everyone was cruel and horrible to me. Tap tap. Something tapped against my window. A shiver ran up my spine. The window opened slowly. A figure crawled through the window."Hey, Yumi." Smoke smiled. "Ah! What are you doing here?If my mom finds you, I'm dead!" I freaked out. "And why are you covered in blood!""I can explain." Smoke uttered. "Check the news." I turned on my tv and watched the news. It talked about the serial killer that was at large claiming 100 victims. "Thats me." My stomach twisted and turned. He was proudly announcing that he was a murderer."What!" I exclaimed, I choked down any fear I was feeling. I reached for the knife I hide under my pillow."Don't worry, I won't kill you." Smoke assured. "I chose my victims, and you anrt one of them." He smiled at me. Should I trust him? "Don't worry I'll just stay here for a little while.""You can't stay here. If my mom finds you..""I can quickly run away.""No you can't stay here. I just met you today! Plus I'm not letting a serial killer live in my room. And I know nothing about you!""My name is Smoke, I'm 19 years old. I'm a murderer. I have the same gift as you. Theres not much to tell." Smoke looked bored. "Plus its only for one night. I won't be here forever, just please, have a heart." He gave me something people call puppy eyes."No." He pouted and wined like a dog. "I said no." I couldn't hold my ground much longer. He wouldn't stop unless I gave in. "Fine." I sighed. "But only for one night." I still don't trust him."Thank you!" He smiled and hugged me. "Don't get too comfortable!" I warned him. "Don't worry it's just one night." I looked at him. He was wearing a black hoodie with a skull on it. He had a pair of black paints covering in zippers and buckles. He looked like an emo kid. He looked like he was malnourished and hadn't eaten in weeks."Do you go to school?" Smoke asked."Yeah, of course I do." I replied. "Is it as bad as everyone says?""Not really. You get used to going.""I've never been to school. My parents kept me hidden away from the world." I looked at him. He was lying on the floor, staring at the ceiling. I felt a twinge of pity for him. "They called me a monster and locked me in my room." I could feel my heart breaking. "Why? Thats a horrible thing to do to a child." I said getting off my bed and sitting next to him. He turned and looked at me."I don't know, I was a monster. I think thats a reason." He sighed. "You're not a monster. You're just a person. A person that looks hungry." I said getting up. I looked under my bed and found my stash of chips. "Here you go." I handed him a bag of chips. He gave me a confused look."Whats with the random kindness?""You look like you could use some help. And people who have the same gift should stick together." I smiled at him. He sat up and opened up the bag of Lays chips. He hungerly at the chips."Thank you. Nobodys been this nice to me." Smoke looked at me. I gave him a smile, something I hadn't done in a long time. "You should smile more. It makes you look beautiful." I blushed at the complement. "I better not see you here when I wake up." I threatened. "And you better not do anything to me while I sleep.""Don't worry I'll be gone by 5:00 AM." He smiled. Even though he was completely insane, he was kind of cute.