2

Olivia ended up falling asleep draped across Bucky's lap with "Tangled" playing in the background. Bucky watched over her like a guard dog, feeling immensely protective over the little girl who called him a friend. When Steve and Tony got back, they came to the floor with a very young woman. She looked badly bruised and limped a bit when she walked, but her eyes were attentive. They immediately flew to Olivia, who was still sound asleep. She glanced at Bucky wearily, and he realized she was afraid.

She looked too young to be Olivia's mom, but considering the circumstances, he figured she must be. Who else would she be? He carefully moved so Olivia was laying on just the couch, and went up to greet the others.

"You're Olivia's mom?" Bucky guessed.

She nodded once, hesitantly, eyes continuing to flick over to her daughter. He stepped aside so she could go to her, and she did, immediately. She knelt down and checked Olivia over carefully without waking her up. Once she had made sure her daughter was okay, she looked back over to Bucky.

"Thank you." She whispered, voice cracking.

He felt like he was being torn apart. Her broken voice and bruised body made his heart ache. He wondered what kinds of things she had been through, and what kinds of things Olivia had been through.

"Since Bruce said you should be okay right now concussion wise, why don't you and Olivia get some sleep? I have a guest room you can stay on, here on this floor." Tony offered generously.

The woman seemed to hesitate at his generosity.

"You aren't going to ask me questions?" She asked wearily, sounding exhausted.

"Questions can wait until the morning." Tony assured her.

Bucky realized that night had indeed fallen. He had seen Natasha get up and switch on the lights before leaving go do something in the other room, but he hadn't registered how late it was.

"Thank you." The woman repeated, looking like she could cry.

She stood to pick up Olivia, but as she bent over, Bucky took a step forward.

"You want me to help?" He offered.

She turned around and eyed him a bit skeptically.

"You're injured, I could help you carry her to your room." He said.

"Okay... thank you..."

"Bucky." He supplied.

"Aurora." She offered, and stepped aside so he could pick up the slumbering child.

Aurora watched Bucky lift her up and carry her down the hallway, hovering close and watching him like a hawk. She thought that Bucky seemed nice, but then again, her judgment was pretty bad when it came to this kind of stuff. When Olivia was finally safely in bed, Aurora looked at him gratefully.

"Thank-"

"You don't have to keep thanking me." He said, meaning to reassure her.

"Sorry." Aurora said, jumping and looking down nervously.

Was he mad?

"No, it's okay." Bucky said, "I'm not mad. You don't have to apologize."

"Right, sorry- oh. I mean, thank- oh. I'm sorry, I don't-ugh!" Aurora got visibly frustrated with herself.

She sounded completely moronic, what was wrong with her? Bucky on the other hand, found her tongue tied apologies endearing. He smiled at her.

"Um, goodnight." She said, uncertainly, not sure that it was the correct thing to say.