19

They blindfolded Aurora at certain points in their drive to avoid spoiling the surprise. They led her through a parking lot and onto what felt like sand under her shoes.

"You recording, Tony?" Bruce doubled checked.

"Yes, now release the hostage!" Tony declared.

They finally untied the scarf around Aurora's head and she blinked a few times to adjust to the bright lighting. It was beautiful. Waves and waves of swirling blue, sparkling with sunlight. Seagulls flying over their heads.

She couldn't help it, her eyes watered.

"Like the view, Sleeping Beauty?" Tony teased, recording her reaction.

"I've never seen anything like this. It's so... big."

"Amazing observation, Aurora, the ocean is in fact 'big'." Tony mocked her.

"Shut up, Tony." She rolled her eyes.

"Are we gonna see mermaids?! And fishes?!" Olivia asked excitedly.

"One way to find out." Bucky said.

"Race you to the shoreline!" Natasha yelled, breaking out into a sprint.

The others followed behind, laughing and running towards the water. It felt surreal. It felt perfect. Aurora kicked off her flip flops and stood ankle deep in the water, watching her friends splash and chase each other. Her family. Olivia was couched down and looking for seashells to put in the little red pail Tony had bought her.

Aurora sensed him coming up behind her.

"If you splash me and get my clothes all wet, I swear-" She was cut off in a squeal as Bucky lifted her up and threw her over his shoulder.

He began walking in deeper. She could feel the cool water on her toes.

"Bucky, if you don't put me down right now, I swear-!"

She was cut off again as Bucky did let her down, but not back in shallow water. It wasn't all that deep, but to high enough to reach her waist. High enough to submerge her completely. Aurora gasped as she emerged from the cold water. The first thing she heard was his loud laughter. She could hear the rest of them howling from the shoreline too. She shot him a glare.

"Bucky, it's freezing and I'm soaked and I wasn't even wearing a bathing suit!" Aurora scolded.

"Yeah." He agreed.

"Then why'd you do it?!"

"It was fun."

She tackled him into the water so that he was soaked too. She had been making a lot of progress training with Natasha, and occasionally Bucky himself, but she had a feeling that he let himself be pushed over. She was getting good, but not good enough to tackle a highly trained super soldier. He laughed once he came out, wiping water out of his eyes. Once he lowered his hands, she splashed some water at his face. He blinked and wiped his eyes once more before moving to hold her wrists in case she tried it again.

"What was that one for?" He asked.

"So we're even." Aurora said.

"I let you tackle me into the water!" Bucky protested.

"You took me completely by surprise. When I tackled you, at least you knew it was coming!"

He laughed as he looked at her triumphant smile. He realized he was still holding her wrists, but she didn't pull away. Did she notice?

Aurora smiled at Bucky and wondered how long she could get him to keep holding her wrists. She liked being close to him like this. She liked it a little too much.