39

Aurora had been gone for a week. Seven days of searching and chasing leads that turned to smoke. They had nothing. They didn't know where she was.

To say everyone had been taking it hard would be a serious understatement. The Avengers scoured for signs of where she could be, barely taking time to eat. Some of them wouldn't even sleep much. Bucky was one of them struggling to eat and sleep. He felt almost entirely hopeless. He had been there, right there, right next to her when she was taken. He hadn't been able to move an inch or stop it from happening. In the end, he couldn't even speak, and couldn't beg Aurora not to agree to that stupid "deal".

Watching the love of his life offer herself up to save her family, to save him was like taking a sledgehammer to his heart.

Bucky had to watch Aurora as she tried desperately to stop her crying upon Chris's cruel demand. He had to watch her kiss the monster who had haunted her since since she was a goddamn fourteen year old. He had to see the guilt and self hatred fill her eyes before she kissed Chris. Bucky had to watch her fight for air after being forced to kiss him until she nearly passed out. He had to watch her leave with that filth's arms around her, Aurora feeling so guilty she couldn't even look back at them one last time.

He knew she hated herself for what she did. He knew it would be taunting her restlessly, hanging over her mind heavily and tainting her every memory of them with regret. Bucky knew that she probably thought he hated her now. She probably thought she was a traitor, and the thought made his blood curl. He wanted so badly to talk to her, to reassure her he didn't hate her, that none of them hated her. They just wanted her back.

Tony's security had been hacked that night it all went wrong. He couldn't even scan the streets or skies for a glimpse of HYDRA's fleeing. For even a hint of a suggestion which way they'd went. Tony blamed himself. Bucky knew he hadn't been drinking because he wanted to keep his mind focused on finding Aurora at every waking moment. He had been searching for leads and beating himself up for every flaw in security that led to that night.

HYDRA had hacked him. Bucky knew that and he didn't blame Tony, but Tony blamed himself fiercely. Bucky walked into his workshop one day to check for an update as he did at least daily. Tony for once wasn't hunched over his computer. Instead he was staring at a projection on a screen. A video. It was paused, but Bucky recognized what video it was straight away. He stood frozen on the doorstep, unable to move, and unable to look away. Watching the video would hurt, but he wanted to see her face again. He wanted to hear her laugh again. He wanted to see her in that happy, wondrous moment, no matter how badly it would feel when the tape ended.

Tony stared at the paused screen, seeming to have the same internal debate. In the end he caved and pressed play.

It was footage of their family from their first ever vacation to Malibu. The camera scanned the beautiful scenery and ocean water before turning on a blindfolded Aurora who was laughing and shifting around impatiently.

"You recording, Tony?" Bruce's voice had doubled checked.

"Yes, now release the hostage!" Tony had declared.

Bucky watched as the scarf blindfold slipped off her face and her eyes blinked to adjust to the lighting for a second before opening in shock and delight. Tears welled in her eyes as she stared at the ocean in wonder.

"Like the view, Sleeping Beauty?" Tony's voice teased, recording her reaction.

"I've never seen anything like this. It's so... big." Aurora's voice finally spoke up.

Hearing her voice and her lighthearted excitement and awe send a twinge of pain to Bucky's heart.

"Amazing observation, Aurora, the ocean is in fact 'big'." Tony had mocked her.