42

Olivia returned to school just before October 28th. Bucky had discussed it over with her therapist Betty, and they'd come to an agreement that returning to a somewhat normal structure would be healthy for her. Bucky was very hesitant to let her go after drop off, but he knew he couldn't keep her hidden in the Tower forever. Since the threat seemed to have vanished, he knew that Olivia should regain her freedom. The last thing he wanted to do was keep the little girl locked up inside like Chris had done.

On October 28th it was Parent's Day at Maple Elementary School. The Avengers had decided not to all attend the event that year, and the only one going would be Bucky. Arriving at the school for Parent's Day without Aurora by his side, he felt like shit. He walked to the second grade classroom and waited outside with the other parents. Most of them were too intimidated by him to speak to him, and he wasn't really in the mood for socializing, so he just stood silently against the wall.

Tara and Mike arrived, and it was Bucky's first time seeing them since before the wedding night. They both went over to greet him immediately, offering him hugs and support. Seeing the couple almost made Bucky start crying. They were so happy and they were together. What if he and Aurora never got that?

He brushed those thoughts aside and focused on the classroom door opening as Mrs. Foster appeared to welcome them inside. Olivia smiled upon seeing Bucky, but there was a bit of sadness in it. He knew she couldn't help but think about last Parent's Day and who was missing this time that should've definitely been there.

As the parents and children conversed, Bucky found a corner of the room to stand in. His demeanor must've read like he didn't want to be approached because there were no crowds of children or adults hovering around to ask him questions. The only one who came over to him was Olivia. She tugged on his shirt.

"What's up, Liv?" Bucky asked her.

"Come talk to the other parents." She said, trying to drag him over.

"No, no, that's fine. I'm good here." He dismissed.

Olivia crossed her arms and pouted.

"All the other parents are talking!" She said.

"So I don't need to join."

"You need to get more friends!" Olivia said.

Bucky looked at her confused.

"You think I need more friends?" He asked her.

"I dunno, it's just something I've heard people say. But come on, Bucky! You're missing out on all the fun!" Olivia insisted.

It struck him as almost funny how their parent- child relationship was kind of reversed right now with Olivia trying to get him to stop sulking in the corner and make friends. He did feel bad about making her worry about him when he was the one who was supposed to take care of her. So, he left his corner and joined the edge of the group of mingling parents. He still didn't talk much, but he'd try to nod and force a little smile whenever someone greeted him. The smiles might've made him look like he was in pain more than happy to see someone, but he was trying his best.

Mrs. Foster didn't spend much time talking with the parents like Mrs. Lopez had last year. It was odd, she didn't seem to like interacting with the children or the adults. Bucky wondered once again why and how she'd become a teacher. She made him feel a bit uneasy, probably due to her cranky demeanor if he had to guess. She was an older teacher, but she didn't have any kind of grandmotherly attitude about her. She seemed more like the cranky old lady yelling out her window for kids to get off her lawn.

By the time Parent's Day was over, Bucky was worn out. He took Olivia back home and then they sat in the living room together. Olivia was drawing another one of her memory cards for her mom, and Bucky was trying his best to not let that make him get emotional. He'd been surprised when she had kept up with making the cards, but Betty had told him that she'd encouraged Olivia to continue making them. Betty said it was a good channel of her sadness until Aurora got back. She always said "until" like everyone did. The "if" felt too frightening.