5

Wanda and Natasha lent Aurora some of their clothes until they could get her some of her own. Their sizes were similar enough that the clothes they let Aurora borrow were more fitted to her size than anything she'd worn in years.

She definitely wasn't in a place to go out shopping, so Wanda and Natasha made it their duty to go out for her, getting her size and measurements written down before they left. They bought clothes for Olivia as well, a wide variety so the girl could wear practically any style she wanted to.

Upon receiving her new clothes, Olivia was ecstatic. She had never worn new clothes bought just for her. To her, this was a fairytale.

But Aurora knew fairytales didn't involve so much early suffering.

Aurora appreciated Wanda and Natasha's kindness in buying her a wardrobe immensely, but felt a bit guilty wearing the clothes they so generously provided. No matter how many times they insisted it wasn't a big deal, that they were happy to help, or that Tony had easily covered all the costs anyways, Aurora felt the guilt.

She didn't deserve these things. She didn't deserve these people. Olivia did, for sure, but her? Her inner turmoil over the fact she had somehow fooled the Avengers into thinking she was a good person was eating her alive. It was only a matter of time before she would combust with guilt and grief.

As time went on, Aurora slowly grew more comfortable with leaving Olivia in Wanda, or even Natasha's care progressively less supervised by her. Sometimes she would be able to let male Avengers hang out with Olivia too, as long as there was one of the women nearby. Her need to have eyes and ears on Olivia at all times began to relax.

Fury only stopped by the floor once after his last dramatic appearance, and it was to apologize to Aurora for jumping to assumptions. She had a feeling the Avengers made him say that, due to the tone of voice he used while apologizing. Fury told her to let them know anything she knew about Chris and HYDRA, and the Avengers promised him to continue asking her about it, but they saw how tense talking about Chris made her and tried to let Aurora have control over the subject, and how much information she wanted to share. They never pushed her or pressed her for more than what she was willing to give.

Therapy sessions started for her, but she didn't confide in Dr. Grace Thompson, not fully. She kept the most brutal truths and traumas hidden. If they knew, if the Avengers knew. everything would change.

Aurora struggled sleeping. She felt foolish because this was the most safe place and time for her to sleep that she had ever experienced, but her nightmares and anxiety kept her up at night. At first she would just lay in bed, counting and breathing and praying for sleep. Then she finally grew restless and brave enough to carefully sneak out of her bed, close the door to where Olivia slept, and walk around the floor at night. She always took care to be extremely quiet.

Aurora rarely ran into anyone during these night walks, unless it was someone up for a quick drink of water or a trip to the bathroom. They always asked her a quick "you okay?" and then went on their way once she said yes.

Bucky had heard her carefully closing her door the first night Aurora went on one of her walks. He had been on his way to the gym to work out, as he did on nights he couldn't sleep, which was most nights. The physical activity helped him channel his anger and feelings of helplessness.

That first night when he heard her footsteps in the hallway, he had paused and waited to make sure she didn't need anything. When he realized she was merely going on a walk around the floor, he continued on his way to the gym, slipping into the shadows.

Aurora was on such a walk when she heard a noise from the elevator. She glanced up just to see the doors close and watched the elevator's number go down a floor. She wondered which Avenger was up so late, and why. Aurora knew she should mind her own business, but curiosity got the better of her. She crept to the elevator and pressed the button for the floor directly below.